[comp.os.minix] Mailing Source/Binary Code

KEN%ORION.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Kenneth Ng) (10/27/87)

>From:         Bruce Becker <BECKER%HUMBER.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
>
>1). current versions of uuencode substitute '`' (accent) for " " (space)
>    in order to deal with problems of blank-stripping - it should not actually
>    matter for "EOL" strippers, but multiple-blank-collapsers would cause
>    problems...
>4). The "gist" of what i'm saying is - please try to build on the existing
>    universe of utilities as much as you can - that way the "UNix-ness" is
>   most fully accounted for... Some may say that MINIX now provides the chance
>    to redo that which Unix tried poorly at - perhaps what you propose falls
>    into such a category, but I'd like to see more analysis as to what needs
>    improvement/replacement, etc...
>5). So this is an invitation for discussion about the "growth" & enhancement
>    of MINIX - are my concerns to "bureaucratic", or is such caution useful?
>    Ken's in the process of putting out something that's going to be a fair
>    amount of work - I hope he can get as much advice as possible up front...
>
>Cheers, BBecker    Humber College   Etobicoke, Ont.

Responding in order: 1>  Glad to see that space isn't used anymore in
uuencode.  I hope the square brackets aren't used either, since IBM
provided a "fee-ture" where there are two possible characters for each
bracket.  (Don't think I won't flame IBM just because I work on one!)
Personally, I'd feel a lot safer using only upper and lower case, the
numbers, and '.' and ','.  I'm pretty sure they exist on all the major
character sets (unless someone is still using BAUDOT), and there aren't
any alternate representations of these characters.  The set I chose is
especially nice because it adds up to 64, a power of 2.

Sure, I can make use of various utilities available under Unix, but what
about the rest of the world?  (I plan to ignore the flames that say the
rest of the world doesn't count.)  But even if I run it under Unix, I
tend to remove bugs from programs.  I've been flamed many times by people
who write programs that depend on these bugs being there.  I've also
been flamed by those who say that if I change things I must keep them
backwards compatible, bugs (they call them 'fee-tures') and all!  Therefore
what I'm trying to do is make a clean break from all that nonsense.

I do hope the program I'm writing will be helpful to others on the Minix
and other mailing lists.  Hopefully it will be able to navigate through
the major mailers of the world without its contents getting MUNGED.

Lastly, the environment I'm aiming this program (which doesn't have a
name yet) is the following: New Jersey Institute of Technology presently
has quite a variaty of computers and associated operating systems.  There
are DEC, IBM, HP, AT&T, PC, Perkin Elmer, and a few other hardware units
on this campus.  There are a host of operating systems here, various
communication, file transfer, and mailing programs, many with bugs.
There is also a planned joint venture with people in Denmark, which
requires that some considerations must be made about character sets
as well.  I'd like a program I can install on all these machines and
keep it as integrated into the local OS as possible.  (Again, I plan
to ignore the "just run Unix" flames.)  After working through all of
this, I have fair hopes that it will be able to work with the systems
outside of this place.

P.S. Thanks for the advice I've been getting on some mailers, in some
cases the 'fee-tures' are rather interesting.

PPS: Sorry, I no longer have that 'share' file that renames all the
files in my directory backwards.  It was pretty neat because it was also
recursive: eg '/user/ken/compress/compress.c' became
'/user/ken/sserpmoc/c.sserpmoc'.

burrell@dalcsug.UUCP (10/28/87)

A couple of weeks ago someone posted the minix version 1.2 difs.  Unfortinatly
when I unshared these files I found the had not traveled through the net in the best of shape.
     Therefor what I am asking is that someone out there who did manage to get a
decent copy archive them and them uuencode them and mail them to me.

	     Thank's in advance
			Gary R. Burrell

Note As I'm not sure of my exact address I hope it can be gotten of the
Mail Header. If not would one person (only one) please post to comp.os.minix to
tell me and i will Find out my exact address and repost it.