[comp.os.minix] turbo c development

bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) (11/09/87)

i just spent  the weekend converting my minix development from minix to
ms/dos (yuk!) using the turbo c stuff posted by somebody here. my minix boot
size went from 114K to 96K! only problem seems to be turbo c locks up my
PC now and then. i'm using  version 1.0 and just found out boland has a bunch
of patches for it. if anybody out there has them can they mail me the stuff
or tell me how to get them?

thanks,
bing

--
Bing H. Bang           +----------------------------------------------------+
Harris/Lanier          |MSDOS and OS/2 (whenever it gets here): just say no.|

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (11/11/87)

In article <2204@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
[porting Minix to Turbo C]
>PC now and then. i'm using  version 1.0 and just found out boland has a bunch
>of patches for it. if anybody out there has them can they mail me the stuff
>or tell me how to get them?
[...]
>Bing H. Bang           +----------------------------------------------------+
>Harris/Lanier          |MSDOS and OS/2 (whenever it gets here): just say no.|
>Atlanta GA             +----------------------------------------------------+

Just a note:
I saw in InfoWorld the other day that Borland has announced
a new version of Turbo C.  I called Borland and they confirmed
it.  I placed my order already.  They said that they wouldn't
charge my plastic until it shipped.  Among other things,
this will be a bug fix version.  It also includes a new
graphics library, from what I understand.  This doesn't really
belong in this group, but a lot of Minix hackers are also
Turbo C users, and it did come up.

	Grant Prellwitz
	Prellwitz Computing Services

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

ESC1111%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (N.Head) (11/11/87)

> ... turboc locks up PC now and again ...  patches

Although not MINIX I take the liberty of answering here!

I don't think any of the patches (Compuserve, BIX)  (me as a last resort)
fix problems that cause TC to kill the system. I had similar things and it
seems to have been a bad memory chip somewhere in the high address range
which TC seems to use a lot (most other software doesn't get that far it I
guess). and NO  - the power on memory test didn't find it (what did you expect)
Cheers, Nigel.

moran@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (William Moran) (11/18/87)

In article <688@louie.udel.EDU> ESC1111%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (N.Head) writes:
>> ... turboc locks up PC now and again ...  patches
>
>Although not MINIX I take the liberty of answering here!
>
>I don't think any of the patches (Compuserve, BIX)  (me as a last resort)
>fix problems that cause TC to kill the system. I had similar things and it
>seems to have been a bad memory chip somewhere in the high address range
>which TC seems to use a lot (most other software doesn't get that far it I
>guess). and NO  - the power on memory test didn't find it (what did you expect)
>Cheers, Nigel.

Not a chance. Turbo C does indeed lock up the system. In trying to
compile some code, I once tried 3 different ATs and 2 different XTs
all of which got hung by it. The problem is that turboc doesn't clean
up after itself. The easiest way to see what I mean is to Make
something that does about 10 compiles of reasonably large programs in
a row. It is almost guaranteed to hang.

			  William L. Moran Jr.
moran@{yale.arpa, cs.yale.edu, yalecs.bitnet}  ...{ihnp4!hsi,decvax}!yale!moran

Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?  	- William Blake

Dickson@his-phoenix-multics.arpa (Paul Dickson) (11/18/87)

This might be totally irrelevant to the problem of Turbo C hanging your
systems, but do the PCs and ATs that are being used have printers
connected? I say this becuase we've experienced a lot of problems with
microemacs (compiled with Turbo C) because output is sometimes being
routed to the printer. And with no printer connected, we get a
mysterious hang. We discovered this by leaving the printer on while
running make.

BTW - I use TCC on my non-PC compatible with no troubles.

          Paul Dickson
            Dickson%pco @ BCO-Multics.ARPA
            Phoenix, Az

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (11/24/87)

In article <2602@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:

> I saw in InfoWorld the other day that Borland has announced
> a new version of Turbo C.  I called Borland and they confirmed
> it.  I placed my order already.

I talked to Borland this morning. They said the new release (1.5)
would start shipping in mid December.

Upgrade is $33.50+$5 S&H + sales tax if applicable.

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

If he says it's "user friendly" watch out; he's a con artist.

#include <disclaimer.std>