[comp.os.minix] Minix on a V20

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (11/21/87)

In article <363@usl-pc.UUCP> cs250c16@usl-pc.UUCP (Arnold Robert M) writes:
>Has anyone out there had ANY experience running Minix with a NEC V-20
>installed in their machine?

I've been running an 8MHZ V20 in my clone (DTK motherboard, ERSO ROMs) for
about two months now with no apparent problems.

>  I have found only one program that the V-20 does not like

What program is it?
--
Glen Overby
Bitnet: ncoverby@ndsuvax

A-PIRARD%BLIULG11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Andre PIRARD) (11/25/87)

>>  I have found only one program that the V-20 does not like
>
>What program is it?

I am using a V20 too. At 8 Mhz without problems.
I've heard of alledged V20 incompatibilities many times, but never of any
report pointing me to a real V20 bug.

Of course, the V20 is somewhat faster and can affect timing loops, especially
those embodying instructions boosted by the V20. But that's ill behaved
programs, not V20. And the problem shows with any CPU at 8 Mhz anyway.

The only "real" incompatibility I could ever spot was a program testing if
it was running on a 80286 by issuing a PUSHALL isn and testing SP. The V20
is in fact a 80186 and PUSHALL works, but the program crashed on later real
286 instructions. This was zapped away in minutes. Here again, the V20 is not
to blame, but the fact it is used in an environment where a 186 is *usually*
not expected. The 286 test could have been better.

Any other precise information?

Andre PIRARD
SEGI - Universite de Liege
15, av. des Tilleuls
B-4000 LIEGE (Belgique)
+32 (41) 520180(449)
Bitnet:  A-PIRARD@BLIULG11
Arpanet: A-PIRARD%BLIULG11.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (as long as it lasts)

Mais elle tait du monde o les plus belles choses
Ont le pire destin.
Et rose, elle a vcu ce que vivent les roses,
L'espace d'un matin.
                       Pierre de Ronsart.
An eternal superb piece of verse, right from the Middle Ages.