[comp.os.minix] Minix sources/binaries

brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning) (12/13/87)

My friends interest in Minix has generated interest in me. In fact I went
out and bought a copy of the "Minix Book".

Thus, I am now looking for copies of the latest (1.2?) release of the Minix
sources and binaries for a 640k PC. This is allowed under the Minix copyright.
I would also like to find an archive of useful net postings on Minix, of which
there must be many (I will be archiving comp.os.minix from now on).

Anything I receive will, of course, be happily passed on to those who may need
it as well. Thanks.

--
Brian Glendenning                INTERNET - brian@radio.toronto.edu
Radio Astronomy, U. Toronto          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!radio!brian

dtinker@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Prof. David Tinker) (12/14/87)

In Article <770@radio.toronto.edu>, Brian Glendenning (brian@radio.toronto.edu)
says (asks):

> Thus I am now looking for copies of the latest (1.2?) release of the Minix
> sources and binaries for a 640k PC.  This is allowed under the Minix
> copyright

Well I'm not sure about that, but I am willing to distribute copies of
Version 1.1 to bonafide owners of "The Book", to save the interminable delay
in getting mail order copies through Prentice Hall.  Version 1.2 is supposed
to be released as floppies + slipcover manual by Prentice Hall, but I haven't
seen it yet.  Contact me at 978-3636 for info.  Source code for Version 1.2
is available as below.

> I would also like to find an archive of useful net postings on Minix, of
> which there must be many ...

You may be interested to know that there is a MINIX Users' group here on
campus (U. of T.) of which the undersigned is "Corresponding Secretary"
(pro tem).  I have been saving material from Comp.os.minix since Feb. '87.
This archive is maintained in PKARC'ed files (there are now 15 of them) in
Area 30 (MINIX) of the U. of T. Fido Bulletin Board System.  Call 978-HELP
for info (ask for Dariusz, who is the Sysop).

If anyone would like to become a member of the MINIX User's group, send me
(by Mail, not a Posting) your name, Home Address (including Postal Code)
and phone numbers (home and/or work).  You'll be on the mailing list for
newsletters;  we meet about bimonthly (have had 2 meetings so far).  There
is as yet no membership fee, but this may change if the postage for the
newsletter becomes appreciable.

There is also a BITNET file server for Minix Archives (listserv@ndsuvm1).

Season's Greetings!

! David O. Tinker             !     ^ ^     !      UUCP: utgpu!dtinker    !
! Department of Biochemistry  !   < O O >   !    BITNET: dtinker@utoronto !
! University of Toronto       !      ^      !       BIX: dtinker          !
! TORONTO, Ontario, Canada    !    #####    !     Voice: (416) 978-3636   !
! M5S 1A8                     !             ! And so on.                  !
!                             !    Hi ho    !                             !