[comp.os.minix] where is receive

paik@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) (12/17/87)

In tracing Minix  source code, I could not easily locate where receive()
was defined - a function universally invoked by I/O tasks.
Could someone enlighten me?
Also, what does Minix 1.2 have? I have not following netnews lately.
Thanks in advance.

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (12/18/87)

In article <21905@tis.llnl.gov> paik@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) writes:

>In tracing Minix  source code, I could not easily locate where receive()
>was defined - a function universally invoked by I/O tasks.
>Could someone enlighten me?
>Also, what does Minix 1.2 have? I have not following netnews lately.
>Thanks in advance.

The "receive" and "send" are defined in the library which is linked to
each mm, fs, kernel programs.  They are just assembly encapsulations
that save BP and puts the target process address in the parameter and
call the system call by interrupt.  The kernel gets interrupted and
syscall() (I think) runs either mini_recv() or mini_send() or both
depending on the type of message passing as indicated in the
parameter.

The assembly routines are in sendrec.s I think.  You will need to
retrieve it from libsrc.a by doing "ar xf".

Hope this helps.

Hwa Jin Bae
Control Data Corporation   "Don't follow leaders; watch the parking meters."
4234 Hacienda Drive        bae@{ati, aftac}.tis.llnl.gov  (Internet)
Pleasanton, CA 94566       {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae, hbae@plseca.UUCP