[comp.os.minix] Version 1.2

kent@ncoast.UUCP (Kent Williams) (07/27/87)

This is a report on Minix 1.2, and on yet another attempt to use a
DOS compiler for Minix Development.

I had all 5 parts, and got everything compiled and poked into it's
proper home with relatively few problems. My Notes:

1. Several programs in /commands need more than the 2K the makefile
gives them: diff, fix, make, find, and probably more that I haven't
tried yet.  Running fix with too little space had the amusing effect
of entering 'panic' over and over again until I rebooted.

2. When you use the minix CC compiler, Kernel memory usage goes from
roughly 91K to 105K.  I didn't notice things being any slower.  My
general reaction to the compiler and assembler is that they are at
least as good as the ones that come free with PC-DOS ;-)

3. The 1.2 'cc' program is broken.  It passes a bogus flag
(apparently '-L' ) to one pass or another, which causes asld to kick
out a silly message about 'illegal word size.'

4. I took a broad whack at using the Datalight Optimum-C compiler for
cross development, and would appreciate any help anyone could give me
in doing this.  I got the library all compiled, and the assembly
files converted.  DOS2OUT compiled fine (except that dos.h had to be
included and the open() flags needed to be changed).  Programs seem
to convert to a.out format OK.

A simple hello.c type program will print out argv and envp properly,
so I can (almost) assume that message passing works.

BUT, when I tried to compile ls.c the resulting program behaves in a
highly icky manner under Minix. It doesn't lock up or trap to Mars or
anything like that -- it just doesn't work right, prints out stupid
stuff, etc., etc.

My questions are these:
1. Do you have to zero Udata yourself?  How exactly does Minix decide
how big Udata is? Do the 'stock' minix program assume that Udata is zeroed
2. Are structures byte or word aligned? (I tried both, with the same results).
3. What am I doing wrong?

If anyone has solved the porting problems for MSC, Aztec C86,
Datalight C, or Metaware HighC, email to me, Por Favor.

Kent Williams
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!cwruecmp!hal}!ncoast!kent
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!kent@harvard.harvard.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/31/87)

In article <3652@ncoast.UUCP> kent@ncoast.UUCP (Kent Williams) writes:

>This is a report on Minix 1.2, and on yet another attempt to use a
>DOS compiler for Minix Development.
>
>1. Several programs in /commands need more than 2K.

Yes.  this is true.  Here is the shell script I run from tools:
b=../commands/bin
t=../test
chmem =30000 $b/asld
chmem =2000  $b/cc
chmem =52000 $b/cem
chmem =30000 $b/cg
chmem =32000 $b/cpdir
chmem =40000 $b/cpp
chmem =40000 $b/dd
chmem =50000 $b/diff
chmem =8000  $b/df
chmem =32000 $b/dosread
chmem =50000 $b/find
chmem =50000 $b/fix
chmem =8000  $b/grep
chmem =8000  $b/gres
chmem =64000 $b/libpack
chmem =64000 $b/libupack
chmem =20000 $b/make
chmem =64000 $b/mined
chmem =8000  $b/mkdir
chmem =16000 $b/mkfs
chmem =8000  $b/mv
chmem =20000 $b/opt
chmem =8000  $b/pr
chmem =50000 $b/readfs
chmem =8000  $b/rm
chmem =8000  $b/rmdir
chmem =8000  $b/sh
chmem =30000 $b/sort
chmem =2000  $b/tail
chmem =2000  $b/time
chmem =8000  $t/t10a
chmem =8000  $t/t11a
chmem =8000  $t/t11b
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
do chmem =8000 ../test/test$i
done

>2. The 1.2 'cc' program is broken.
No, I just posted the V1.2 cc by accident.  It goes with the new compiler.
It doesn't work with the 1.1 compiler.  Throw it away.  When I get my act
together, I will describe the 1.2 compiler and how to get it.  Not yet.
First I want to get 1.2 out the door.

>3. Do you have to zero Udata yourself?
What's Udata?  Never heard of it.  MINIX neither.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (08/03/87)

kent@ncoast says:
> 2. When you use the minix CC compiler, Kernel memory usage goes from
> roughly 91K to 105K.  I didn't notice things being any slower.  My
> general reaction to the compiler and assembler is that they are at
> least as good as the ones that come free with PC-DOS ;-)

    where are you buying your PC-DOS that you get a C compiler and
assembler "for free" :-)?  all i ever got was a linker.

> 4. I took a broad whack at using the Datalight Optimum-C compiler for
> cross development, and would appreciate any help anyone could give me
> in doing this.  I got the library all compiled, and the assembly
> files converted.  DOS2OUT compiled fine (except that dos.h had to be
> included and the open() flags needed to be changed).  Programs seem
> to convert to a.out format OK.
> If anyone has solved the porting problems for MSC, Aztec C86,
> Datalight C, or Metaware HighC, email to me, Por Favor.

    i also have datalight C, so i'd be interested in progress
there.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

abbas@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Ghassan A. Abbas) (12/23/87)

Please, can any one tell me how I can get the version 1.2.

In the notes 6, and 13 Andy said he had gotten this version. can you send
to this notes file. the address from where I can get it and the estimated
price (if you know it). thanks

Ghassan Abbas