[net.news] FidoNET Newsletter

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (10/19/86)

While I appreciate the motivations that Erik talks about in reference to
the posting of the FidoNet newsletter, I strongly believe that the
appropriate distribution mechanism for this sort of thing is a MAILING LIST,
suitably advertised on the net.  It is *NOT* appropriate, I feel, to
distribute this via Usenet (not to mention the groups selected for
cross-posting).

If the demand reaches sufficient levels (200+) then perhaps we can all discuss
making it a new newsgroup, or a part of another group, but in the meantime I'd
like to see the postings stop.

						-- Dave Taylor

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/19/86)

In article <768@hplabsc.UUCP>, taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
> appropriate distribution mechanism for this sort of thing is a MAILING LIST,
> suitably advertised on the net.  It is *NOT* appropriate, I feel, to
> distribute this via Usenet (not to mention the groups selected for
> cross-posting).
>
> If the demand reaches sufficient levels (200+) then perhaps we can discuss
> making it a newsgroup, or a part of another group, but in the meantime I'd
> like to see the postings stop.

while I agree with Dave that this group is not the right place to continue
posting it I find the requirement for 200 votes a bit unreasonable.  I do not
recall that it EVER took anything like this number to establish ANY of the
groups that I know of.  However, it may well be the time to start such a
requirement (but then let's do it for ALL existing groups).

In general, I'd like to see new groups be able to get some exposure before
deciding if they should be news or mail-groups.  I assume here, that many of
us do scan a lot of news-groups (especially new ones) occasionally, simply
to form an opinion and get an idea what it's all about, where we'd *NEVER* be
even tempted to subscribe to it as a mail-group and, therefore, never get a
chance to find out what we are missing.

The case in question seems to me to be the perfect case for mod.mag or a
sub-group thereof.  The volume certainly seems negligable and the contents
is after all a (moderated?) newsletter, with volume and issue numbers - the
works (I don't know about the 'advertising' though; I'd want to see a few
more issues before I form a definite opinion)

I am not disinclined to create a net-wide concensus to require certain
minimum readership across a minimum number of sites which should be required
for distribution, but let's do this systematically and not apply this to
new groups only, but also to existing ones.  Otherwise we create the well
known situation where the establishment makes the rules in a way that will
keep new-comers (and potential competitors for resources) out in the cold.
Given that this net is about information, I'd like to see information made
available to as many as possible as conveniently as possible and to avoid
the situation where new ideas and data is prevented from spreading and thus
the "critical mass" of interested people can never come together to "justify"
a news-group.

Maybe, we should create a priority-list of interest-areas which we'd like
to carry information about on this net.  I'd expect that anything having to do
with computers and electronic communications should be rather high on the
list and require fewer readers to justify distribution as a news-group,
than, for example, groups dealing with the occult, religion, sports....
(whatever, insert your own favorite hit-list here).

---Werner	"the header should show a mail-path to my IN-box..."

zeta@runx.OZ (Nick Andrew) (10/20/86)

[]

   I too am glad the Fido newsletter is coming via Usenet - since in
Australia the usual distribution [ie: Fidonet] has been delayed.
   Creation of a new newsgroup is only warranted if there will be
other discussion as well as the newsletter - which after all is a
rare occurrence compared to discussion mail.

   You can find me at....
ACSnet:    zeta@runx.oz
UUCP:      ...!{seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!runx.oz!zeta
Fidonet:   Nick Andrew@[155/222] (Zeta), [155/213] (Sentry)
Zeta:      Sysop@zeta, (02) 627-4177, Zeta Rtrs, CCITT V21.
Mail:      P.O Box 177, Riverstone NSW 2765 Australia.

booth@vax135.UUCP (David Booth) (10/20/86)

I vote for keeping Fidonet newsletters on the net -- they are relevant
to electronic mail and BBOARD systems, and it is good to know about the
progress of such systems.  I don't particularly care if a new newsgroup
is created for them, but I don't see any substantial justification for
it, since the newsletters are only posted once a week.  That certainly
does not seem like an unwieldly amount traffic for uninterested persons
to ignore.

David Booth

don@opal.berkeley.edu (Don Curry) (10/20/86)

Okay!  What IS FidoNET?  I can't vote for or against it without some knowledge
of what it is I'm voting for/against.

don@opal.berkeley.edu

         Don Curry
         Computer Facilities & Communications,
         University of California,
         Berkeley CA 94720  (415) 642-0587

         "Dh' aindeoin co theireadh e!"

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (10/22/86)

In article <1484@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> Don Curry writes:
>Okay!  What IS FidoNET?  I can't vote for or against it without some knowledge
>of what it is I'm voting for/against.

  FidoNet (tm) is a collection of PCs which run a Buletin Board System
(BBS) called Fido (tm).  Fido is a typical BBS system for micros in
that it allows entry of messages (public and private) as well as
upload/download of files.  It has one very important difference from
most PC BBSs in that ALL systems running the Fido software can
automatically communicate with each other.  (A lot like usenet, but
significantly different - see below)

  This networking is done over normal voice grade phone lines, with the
originator paying the phone bills.  Users can send mail to users on any
other Fido BBS in the world, with delivery overnight.  Messages can
also be sent to anyone on Usenet, again, see below.  Currently, FidoNet
(the name for the global network of Fidos) consists of over 1000
systems in USA, Canada, England, Holland, (other European contries too)
Australia, Indonesia...

  FidoNet is organized as a structured blob :-)  Anyone CAN talk to
anyone else, but default routing channels messages through hosts or hubs.

  Each week a central site sends out a nodelist to hubs and regions who
then send it to all the leaf nodes.  This nodelist is used for the
automatic routing and as an on-line "area code" directory.  Also
published once a week by another site is the FidoNews newsletter.  This
moderated newsletter is driven by the members of FidoNet, and is a
great source of info to the Sysops and users involved with FidoNet.

Technical description of FidoNet:

Topology:

other hubs <------+---------------+-----------------+----------> other hubs
		  |               |                 |
              Net 132 Hub     Region 2 Hub     Net 121 Hub
	      (Node 0)          (Node 0)        (Node 0)
                  |               |                 |
            --------------     node 8       ---------------
           /      |       \                /       |       \
	Node 1  node 2  node 101        node 1  node 7  node 90

  A user on Net 121 Node 1 can send a message to another person on Net 132
Node 101; the message will be routed as follows:

     121/1 -->  121/0 --> 132/0 --> 132/101

  This is done because the hubs can usually send messages for less cost
than the nodes can (After hours use of WATS lines...).  Usually a 'net'
is similar in concept to the telco's area code.  A hub usually is a
local phone call away from its nodes;  Nodes which are isolated are
placed in regions instead of nets.  This is an arbitrary naming
convention, not a different class of <anything>.

  If 121/1 wanted to send a file (as opposed to a message) to 132/101,
the call would be placed directly between 121/1 and 132/101 to avoid
saturating the hubs.  Also, the Prime Directive of FidoNet is that the
person who incures costs should pay for them.  Thus Node 121/1 pays to
send the file, not the hub, 121/0!

Implementation:

  The Fido Software is written by Tom Jennings, and (as of version 11),
is avaliable to non-commercial sites for FREE.  Commercial use requires
a $100 registration licencing fee.  It runs on IBM/clone PC's, DEC
Rainbows, Sanyo PC's, Victor 9000s, CompuPro S-100 machines... ie:
MS-DOS boxes.

  There is a large documentation package avaliable (500+ pages),
including setup manual, Sysop manual, and user manual.  Also, there
are help nodes on the net, and IFNA, the International FidoNet
Association can help old and new BBSs out.

  The comunications at the networking level are crude - a combination
of XMODEM and Telink (Modem7-Batch) file transfer protocols with
verification preambles at connect time.  (are you a user or another
Fido?...)

  The routing is done with the above mentioned static routing tables,
updated weekly.  With the exception of the nodelist preperation,
there is NO  central node in the network - it really is an informal
grouping of very independent machines.  Nodes behave as they wish,
since they pay their phone bills.  Hubs are there to make
organizational sense out of the shear number of nodes; country codes
are coming soon because of the fast growth of FidoNet overseas.

There is a UUCP <--> FidoNet gateway maintained by Bob Hartman at
vaxine; mail can be sent to Fido systems with the UUCP address:

{decvax,ihnp4}!encore!vaxine!spark!FIDO-NET-NUMBER!FIDO-NODE-NUMBER!FIDO-USER

    where

    FIDO-NET-NUMBER is the identifier of the sub-net within FidoNet the
		    desired node resides in,
    FIDO-NODE-NUMBER is the local node number, and FIDO-USER is the
    name of the user you wish to talk to.

    Bob's address would be:
	decvax!encore!vaxine!spark!132!101!Bob_Hartman

    Mine would be:
	decvax!encore!vaxine!spark!121!0!John_Plocher

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (10/22/86)

In article <768@hplabsc.UUCP> taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
>If the demand reaches sufficient levels (200+) then perhaps we can all discuss
>making it a new newsgroup, or a part of another group, but in the meantime I'd
>like to see the postings stop.

Hooray for that! See what happens:
Filesystem    kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ra0e      26611   21683    2266    91%    /NEWS
--
	Amos Shapir

National Semiconductor (Israel)
6 Maskit st. P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
(01-972) 52-522261
34.49'E 32.10'N

pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (10/22/86)

BERKELEY.EDU> <258@puff.wisc.edu>

    Thank you John.  You were much quicker and elaborate than I would have
been.
                         Tim Pozar
 ______________________________
|                              |
| UUCP: ihp4!hplabs!well!pozar |
| Fido: 125/406 Sysop          |
|______________________________|

tla@kaiser.UUCP (T Anderson) (10/22/86)

I find the FidoNET Newsletter very interesting.  I vote it be
allowed somewhere.  I don't feel strongly about where.
			-- Terry Anderson
			   AT&T Bell Laboratories
			   Warren, NJ

randy@oresoft.UUCP (10/23/86)

FidoNet is similar to Usenet, but runs on PClones.  The protocol is documented,
and non-PC clones are in the works.  An extended version of the protocol
supports file requests etc.  There are some 1,200 nodes around the old ball,
and many in private corporations (AT&T, GTE, Natl Parks, ...).  It started with
Tom Jennings doing a PC bulletin board that could call other versions of itself.
It's been around 3-4 years, but I really don't know.  The newsgroup idea hit
FidoNet only last February, so it is nowhere near the advanced stages of flaming
and technology of Usenet, but it's coming on strong, especially the flames.

pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (10/24/86)

In article <370@instable.UUCP> amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>In article <768@hplabsc.UUCP> taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>If the demand reaches sufficient levels (200+) then perhaps we can all discu
ss
>>making it a new newsgroup, or a part of another group, but in the meantime I
'd
>>like to see the postings stop.
>
>Hooray for that! See what happens:
>Filesystem    kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/ra0e      26611   21683    2266    91%    /NEWS
>--
>	Amos Shapir
>
>National Semiconductor (Israel)

    Are you saying a 48K file is going to break your system?.  Even if you get
both net.mail and net.news, thats 96K.  I can understand some of the other
arguments, by not a restriction of disk space.  If you are going to receive
mail, and/or news groups, and a backlog of mail, or some moderate posting comes
along, your dead.  I would think a better rational to this problem would be
getting some more disk space or unsuscribing from a couple of news groups, or
(temporarily) clean out some dead wood.  I'm not trying to FLAME.  I'm just
bewildered that this point is being used for an argument to stop the posting
of the FidoNews.  As stated before, I can understand an argument like, "Not
applicable" (although I don't agree), or wrong format (msg vs. mag) (a point
that can be debated.)
    Fido is a network of 1000+ nodes that are publicly listed and many more
that are private.   I think that, because of the size, and how well Fido works,
we (the USENET community) should have access to information concerning Fido.
   A more pesimistic view, was the one stated by Erik Fair.  In it he said that
Fido is increasing in size at a meteoric rate.  He seems to feel that Fido will
crash just as hard, and he is interested in seeing the hows and whys in order
to avoid such a catastrophe for these nets.  Those who restrict the flow of
information will be damned from ignorance.
   Boy, I feel like Dr. Gene Scott.  Whew!

                         Tim Pozar
 ______________________________
|                              |
| UUCP: ihp4!hplabs!well!pozar |
| Fido: 125/406 Sysop          |
|______________________________|

marr@yale.UUCP (Leon Marr) (10/25/86)

Expires:
In article <25@oresoft.UUCP> randy@oresoft.UUCP (Randy Bush) writes:
>FidoNet is similar to Usenet, but runs on PClones.  The protocol is documented,
>and non-PC clones are in the works.  An extended version of the protocol
>supports file requests etc.  There are some 1,200 nodes around the old ball,
>and many in private corporations (AT&T, GTE, Natl Parks, ...).

Is anyone doing anything like this for Macs?  I don't remember seeing
anything in mod.mac.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Leon Marr

lenoil@apple.UUCP (10/25/86)

In article <1638@vax135.UUCP> booth@vax135.UUCP (David Booth) writes:
>I don't particularly care if a new newsgroup
>is created for them, but I don't see any substantial justification for
>it, since the newsletters are only posted once a week.  That certainly
>does not seem like an unwieldly amount traffic for uninterested persons
>to ignore.

You are forgetting the converse argument.  I want to read the Fidonet
newsletter.  I do NOT want to read net.news.  I would like a separate
newsgroup so that I can ignore the unwieldy amount of traffic that net.news
generates.

No flames, please.  I'm not a news administrator.  So sue me.

-Robert Lenoil

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (10/26/86)

In article <1973@well.UUCP> pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>...  I would think a better rational to this problem would be
>getting some more disk space or unsuscribing from a couple of news groups, or
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(temporarily) clean out some dead wood.  I'm not trying to FLAME.  I'm just
>bewildered that this point is being used for an argument to stop the posting
>of the FidoNews. ...

The point was: stop posting it here, and give them their own newsgroup
so I can unsubscribe.
--

kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (11/03/86)

In article <242@apple.UUCP>, lenoil@apple.UUCP writes:
> You are forgetting the converse argument.  I want to read the Fidonet
> newsletter.  I do NOT want to read net.news.  I would like a separate
> newsgroup so that I can ignore the unwieldy amount of traffic that net.news
> generates.

I don't care what arguments are used - just (re)move the Fidonet postings
from net.{mail,news}.

	A mailing list would be good
	A newsgroup would be unsubscribable

						<Kim Chr. Madsen>