[comp.os.minix] ELLE vs. MICROEMACS?

WANCHO@simtel20.arpa (Frank J. Wancho) (01/02/88)

Has anyone tried porting MICROEMACS into the MINIX environment and
compared it with ELLE?  (It has a V7 conditional, so it *may* be
"easy.")  I've successfully brought up MICROEMACS on various Unix
minis where gnuemacs wouldn't come up (and would have been overkill if
all that is needed is a small, fast screen editor with macro
capabilities).

MICROEMACS 3.9 is available from a variety of net locations, including
SIMTEL20.ARPA in PD1:<MISC.MICRO-EMACS> in individual source files and
PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS> in several large ARC files for the source, doc, and
MSDOS .EXE files.

I've mentioned this program to Dr. T, and he expressed several
concerns, including ease of port, small model limitations, linkability
in the MINIX world, maximum size of files in both individual buffers
and total, and whether the buffers are cached as ELLE does.  I don't
have those answers.  Maybe somebody else does?

--Frank

FYS-MA%FINTUVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Matti Aarnio) (01/03/88)

>Has anyone tried porting MICROEMACS into the MINIX environment and
>compared it with ELLE? ...
>I've mentioned this program to Dr. T, and he expressed several
>concerns, including ease of port, small model limitations, linkability
>in the MINIX world, maximum size of files in both individual buffers
>and total, and whether the buffers are cached as ELLE does.  I don't
>have those answers.  Maybe somebody else does?
>
>--Frank

  I have some:

  I use uEMACS as THE ONLY editor in our laboratory (hmmm... TurboPascal
has its own, but I use it rarely).

  I don't have direct test-results about porting uEMACS to MINIX, but
what applies to MSDOS in this respect can be compared directly.

  I DID TRY TO COMPILE uEMACS ONCE ON SMALL-MODEL, RESULT:
IMMEDIATE CRASH...  Reason: Binary code over 90 k bytes...

  To port uEMACS on system, where there isn't this (my opinion) stupid
64k segmentation limits, it is really simple.  (With Memory Management)

  Linkability is simple question, it has lots of features to be used
to compile for various computers -- including TERMCAP for minis...
Your problem is to provide proper version of system libraries (with
your compiler).

  uEMACS has one "nasty" limitation:  It can edit just as much as
fits into your main memory -- not alike ELLE.
This limit has zapped me some time -- tail off from abt 1MB file, left
only abt 500kB...   I think I will get ELLE as my other editor --
also for Amiga2000 (1.5MB core & expanding)

   / Matti Aarnio, WPL/STM-project
| Mr. Matti E. Aarnio; University of Turku; Wihuri Physical Laboratory;|
|                      SF-20500 TURKU; FINLAND   (Phone:+358-21-645917)|
| BITNET: FYS-MA at FINTUVM                                (( GMT+2 )) |
| Favourites: Project: GNU-effort, CPUs: M68K-series, Language: CLU    |
|             Hobbies: Astronomy, HAM, Study, Building computers       |

BECKER%HUMBER.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bruce Becker) (01/04/88)

Where could I get a copy of ELLE for Amiga? Or was that just a wish?
Is ELLE source available, if not Amiga binary?

Bruce Becker    Humber College       Etobicoke, Ont.

FYS-MA%FINTUVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Matti Aarnio) (01/05/88)

ELLE for Amiga....   Unfortunately that was only my wish,
but if I can pick up sources, I will port it.

I have USENET feed to this IBM site, but I haven't yet seen ELLE sources.
I will ask from my local friends.
| INTENET: FYS-MA%FINTUVM.BITNET@INTERBIT  ( @cunyvm.cuny.edu or eqv ) |

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (01/05/88)

In article <918@louie.udel.EDU> WANCHO@simtel20.arpa (Frank J. Wancho) writes:
>Has anyone tried porting MICROEMACS into the MINIX environment and

I attempted MicroEmacs 3.6 and MicroGnuEmacs this past June, and was not
successful.  As I remember it, all of 3.6 compiled except for the large
auto-initialised structure, which seemed to cause cg to go into an
infinite loop.  I dont remember what happened to MicroGnu.

More recenly, Freeman Pascal (also here at NDSU) tried compiling 3.8i
and MicroGnu.  On 3.8i he ran into the same problem with cg as I did,
but did get MicroGnu to compile.  When it ran, there was not enough
stack to come up.

>I've mentioned this program to Dr. T, and he expressed several
>concerns, including ease of port, small model limitations, linkability
>in the MINIX world, maximum size of files in both individual buffers
>and total, and whether the buffers are cached as ELLE does.  I don't
>have those answers.  Maybe somebody else does?

Both current MicroEmacses are based on the origional MicroEmacs version
30 by Dave Conroy which holds all buffers in main memory.  On Minix this
would be one segment-- not enough when you're tring to edit
kernel/tty.c! MicroEmacs 3.9e will not run under MS C with "compact"
model (<64K text, >64K data), but it does run under the "medium" model,
I believe (I didnt compile it under MS-DOS myself). I dont know if there
was a 64K buffer size restriction on large model or not.

Furthermore, if the file you are editing does not fit into memory, it gets
truncated. There is an error message about not being able to allocate memory
when you load the file, but no protection against clobbering the old copy,
as well as no .bak file.
--
Glen Overby
Bitnet: ncoverby@ndsuvax