[comp.os.minix] minix on portables

eeproks@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) (01/13/88)

---

Has anyone taken a stap at porting minix to on of the portables?  I am
thinking of buying a T1100+ or an NEC Multispeed with a hard disk, and minix
would make life very nice indeed...

Kenneth J. Seefried iii			|	Internet:	ken@gatech.edu
P.O. Box 30104				|	Bitnet:		ccastks@gitvm1
School of Information & Computer Science|	uucp:
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332		|	...!{backbone site}!gatech!ken

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (01/14/88)

In comp.os.minix, eeproks@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

> Has anyone taken a stap at porting minix to on of the portables?  I am
> thinking of buying a T1100+ or an NEC Multispeed with a hard disk, and minix
> would make life very nice indeed...

> Kenneth J. Seefried iii		|	Internet:	ken@gatech.edu
> P.O. Box 30104			|	Bitnet:		ccastks@gitvm1
> School of Information & Computer Science|	uucp:
> Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332	|	...!{backbone site}!gatech!ken
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Actually, you can do a disk image copy from a 5 1/4" to a 3 1/2" disk
and easily get Minix running on a portable.  That's what I did with my
T1100+.  There are a few problems, however.  The first is that the screen
display dissapears, when data is being output and the screen is scrolling,
every other screenful or so; after another screenful of data or so, the screen
display reappears.  Other people have had this problem, and so it may have
been fixed by now (I don't use Minix much).  The other problem is that the
kernel/drivers will have to be rebuilt (I think) to take full advantage of
3 1/2" disks (i.e., use all of the available disk space); unless this is
done, the 3 1/2" disks will only have a usuable capacity of 360K.  Hmmm.
As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how you'd make new Minix file systems on
a 3 1/2" disk.  MSDOS has to be used to format the disks but, if MINIX doesn't
recognize the 3 1/2" disk size (without rebuilding the kernel/drivers), I'm
not sure how one would make new file systems.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

TCORAM%UDCVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/15/88)

Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpsrlc.hp.com> writes:
>     Actually, you can do a disk image copy from a 5 1/4" to a 3 1/2" disk
> and easily get Minix running on a portable.  That's what I did with my
> T1100+.

Thats what I did for my Datavue Spark portable.  Wasn't too hard (even though
the only way I could access 5.25 disks to transfer was via serial port on an
IBM AT).

> The other problem is that the
> kernel/drivers will have to be rebuilt (I think) to take full advantage of
> 3 1/2" disks (i.e., use all of the available disk space); unless this is
> done, the 3 1/2" disks will only have a usuable capacity of 360K.  Hmmm.

Not a solution (more like a hack) but since I have the latest Minix (1.2?)
then can't I make a new file system by referencing your 3.5 drives as IBM AT
1.2Meg drives? (I don't have any docs with me now, but I think you reference AT
drives as AT0 and AT1.) So...
mkfs \dev\at1 720
will make a file system on a 720k disk.  Is this reliable or dangerous?
I am new to Minix, as you can well see ;)

Then again, I was having disk driver problems when I was using 360k and they
haven't gone away with 720k file systems...  It seems my system fails
test10 ('can't create file' errors) and every once in a while Minix locks
up and goes away when I try to write to a disk. Other times, Minix and my
drives just purr along.  Hmmmm. Could this possible suggest that my
Datavue Spark disk system is not quite IBM compatible???

        |                   maroC ddoT | Todd Coram                   |
        |         tcoram@udcvax.bitnet | tentib.xavcdu@maroct         |
        |                   remmargorP | Programmer                   |
        | retneC retupmoC cimedacA CDU | UDC Academic Computer Center |

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."