[net.news] Yet another unsolicited testimonial for 'vn'

jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) (11/07/86)

# "Suspense in news is torture." -- Milton, Paradise Lost

I both laud the elegant work of Mr. McQueer and fail to understand
why it is not mentioned or distributed with "news at 2.11".
Without it, to peruse the news for this reader would be impossible.
I see absolutely nothing that 'vnews' has over this extremely
trouble-free software gift.

Now I hear tell of something called 'rn', but I sense it is
a complex beast, judging by the number patches encouraged.
In contrast, 'vn' has just the right level of quick-view titling,
menu selection, search capability, and update facilities.
In the absence of a pointing device, I cannot envision how
news can be selected with fewer keystrokes than is possible
with 'vn'.  Its speed and reliability are worth your consideration.

Sincerely,
   James A. Woods	{decwrl,ihnp4}!ames!jaw

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) (11/07/86)

In article <728@nike.UUCP> jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>Now I hear tell of something called 'rn', but I sense it is
>a complex beast, judging by the number patches encouraged.

Rn is not a complex beast (Its author is, but that's another
story). The reason there are so many patches to Rn is twofold:

   (a) Like any other program having to interface with a variety
       of Unixii (Unixes?), bugs unexpected by the author arise.

   (b) Rn has not been released for a while, so patches
       accumulate.

Larry is about to start work on the next release of Rn. This
should incorporate a number of nifty features.

I do suggest you look into getting Rn. It is available from
mod.sources, or from the author (use my return address, change
faigin to lwall). It is easy to install (it automatically
configures itself) and to use.

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W (Daniel): System Development Corporation (-: A Sparroughs Company :-)
            2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
W (Karen) : Amex Systems Incorporated (An Allied Bendix Aerospace Company)
            107 West Carob Street; Compton CA 90220; (213) 604-4500 x4838
H: 8333 Columbus Avenue #17; Sepulveda CA 91343; (818) 892-8555

sja@ih1ap.UUCP (Steve Alesch) (11/07/86)

In article <728@nike.UUCP>, jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
> Now I hear tell of something called 'rn', but I sense it is
> a complex beast, judging by the number patches encouraged.

I wouldn't be so hasty to make snap judgements about software  you
have  never used.  I think engineers should make decisions after a
careful	analysis of all	of the facets of  the  problem	he/she	is
presented with.

> In contrast, 'vn' has just the right level of quick-view titling,
> menu selection, search capability, and update facilities.
>    James A. Woods	{decwrl,ihnp4}!ames!jaw
--

Steve Alesch	AT&T
(312)510-7881, ...!ihnp4!ih1ap!sja

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (11/08/86)

In article <3407@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>I do suggest you look into getting Rn. It is available from
>mod.sources, or from the author (use my return address, change
>faigin to lwall). It is easy to install (it automatically
>configures itself) and to use.

Minor clarification: I don't happen to have any rn kits handy at the moment.
I accidentally destroyed them, and my current sources are not in a state from
which kits can be generated.  Use mod.sources, or if you have access to
a 4.3bsd distribution tape, it's on there too.

The next version of rn should be out in a month or so, if you wanted to know.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall