[comp.os.minix] MINIX using MSDOS as a development system.

GA.MCK%ISUMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Bret A. Mckee) (11/10/87)

*** NOTE *** This article is about MINIX.  It does not contain anything
about GNU or PDP 11's or anything else [except for this sentence].

I have just completed getting MINIX 1.2 [almost] compiled under MS-DOS
using MASM and MSC v 4.0. Whenever anyone mentions having done this they
seem to generate a flood with requests to asking them to talk about it
and/or distribute it.

The process on the whole was relatively painless.  All the problems I
encountered were in the .ASM files.  A problem worthy of mention came
from the segment layout defined in lib/prologue.h.  The segments defined
there need to be "fitted" into the segments defined by the compiler you
use.

If there is a great deal of interest I would be willing to distribute
the ported code.  I will not post it for a large number of reasons,
including the fact that I would have to upload it to post it.  Since I
am on a BITNET node, it is a real hassle to try to post diff's because
of ASCII/EBCDIC translation problems and tab/space/trailing blank
problems.  It might be possible for me to copy floppies if the demand is
small.  If lots of people want them I will probably have a local place
copy them for me and then collect the copying fee from those who wanted
them.  Since this distribution will be the entire thing, I will require
some proof you actually own MINIX so as to keep the PH legal staff off
of my doorstep.

If you are interested in getting MS developed MINIX, send a request
to F2BAM%ISUMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU.  Note that this is not the
same username I posted this from.  The account I am using now has an
automatic mail processing program which will probably lose
your request.

I hope to get MINIX running in Protected Mode as the next step in my
adventures in MINIX.  It seems like it should be possible without
too much work.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who as given
this any thought or might have any useful insights.

phillip@cbmvax.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay GUEST) (11/23/87)

in article <683@louie.udel.EDU>, GA.MCK%ISUMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Bret A. Mckee) says:

> *** NOTE *** This article is about MINIX.  It does not contain anything
> about GNU or PDP 11's or anything else [except for this sentence].
>
> I have just completed getting MINIX 1.2 [almost] compiled under MS-DOS
> using MASM and MSC v 4.0. Whenever anyone mentions having done this they
How about MSC v 5.0? ^^^^^^ Could you make your chore public?
Phillip (Flip) Lindsay - Wake up and watch CNN at: Heather Ridge Apts. #G-115
UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip           Mantua, NJ 08051
No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the
form of suggestion or example. Any opinions found here are of my making.

Ted_Cowan@milehi.UUCP (Ted Cowan) (01/26/88)

I am also interested in using MS-DOS as a development system, using
Turbo C.  How is this best accomplished?  I believe I have the 1.1
version of MINIX.  Thanks.....

---
 * Origin: Station Zebra BBS (801)-521-5015 [ZEB-1] (Opus 1:15/2)
SEEN-BY: 15/2 104/56
via FidoNet 104/56 Mile Hi Tech  (303-973-9338)
       uucp:  ...!{hao|isis}!scicom!milehi!oscar