[comp.os.minix] Minix on Compaq Portable II

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Guy Helmer) (01/13/88)

When trying to load the root file system I get an unexpected trap < 16.
I am running Minix on the Compaq Portable II with a Hardcard 20 installed
and nothing else.  I am running Minix version 1.1 and it runs fine on
floppies on my AT&T PC 6300 (it won't work with my WD hard disk controller,
but that's another problem that I hope I can fix by running version 1.2).
Any suggestions?

Guy Helmer
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/13/88)

In article <951@louie.udel.EDU> HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Guy Helmer) writes:

>When trying to load the root file system I get an unexpected trap < 16.
>I am running Minix on the Compaq Portable II with a Hardcard 20.

There have been problems with the hardcard before.  It is not IBM compatible.
I suspect you may have to modify the disk driver.  Has anyone done this?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

eholley@rodan.cs.utexas.edu (Ed Holley) (01/15/88)

I have been running minix on my hardcard 20 in a compaq portable for several
months now with no trouble whatsoever, and no modifications.  That bit about
Minix not working with this hard disk must just be a nasty rumor.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (01/15/88)

In article <10096@ut-sally.UUCP> eholley@rodan.UUCP (Ed Holley) writes:

>I have been running minix on my hardcard 20 in a compaq portable for several
>months now with no trouble whatsoever, and no modifications.  That bit about
>Minix not working with this hard disk must just be a nasty rumor.

The very first MINIX user outside Amsterdam (in Utah) tried it on a Model D
with a hardcard and concluded that it didn't work with the hardcard.  When
the hardcard was removed, it worked perfectly.  On the other hand, that was
V1.1.  Maybe 1.2 is better.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (01/16/88)

In article <1823@botter.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>There have been problems with the hardcard before.  It is not IBM compatible.
>I suspect you may have to modify the disk driver.  Has anyone done this?
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

I am running minix 1.1 with posted 1.2 changes to kernel etc.
on the 'original' Compaq Portables, and added a HardCard 20 after
the Compaq's hard disk failed.  Minix is working fine using two
5 megabyte partitions on the disk.

Note & question:  I have seen no postings with a new xt_wini.c so I
am using the minix 1.1 xt_wini.c.  Was any 'approved' xt_wini.c posted
that I didn't receive, or were there realy no changes?

PS. There are several hard-disk-on-a-card manufacturers, but THE
HardCard is from Plus Development Corp.

            David Dyck
    Domain: dcd@tc.fluke.COM
     Voice: +1 206 356 5807
      UUCP: {uw-beaver,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,sun}!fluke!dcd
     Snail: John Fluke Mfg. Co. / P.O. Box C9090 / Everett WA  98206

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Guy Helmer) (02/02/88)

Has anyone out there got Minix running on the Compaq Portable II?
I tried running Minix on the machine, but while it was trying to
load the ram disk from floppy, I got an unexpected trap error.
From the messages I received the last time I enquired about this,
it doesn't seem that my Hardcard 20 is causing the trap.  Is it
possible Minix isn't correctly trapping something on this machine?
It is an 80286 machine, but is it AT compatible or is it XT compatible?

pcm@ogcvax.UUCP (Phil Miller) (02/03/88)

In article <louie.1090> HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Has anyone out there got Minix running on the Compaq Portable II?
>I tried running Minix on [the Compaq Portable II], but while it was trying to
>load the ram disk from floppy, I got an unexpected trap error.
>From the messages I received the last time I enquired about this,
>it doesn't seem that my Hardcard 20 is causing the trap.  Is it
>possible Minix isn't correctly trapping something on this machine?
>It is an 80286 machine, but is it AT compatible or is it XT compatible?

I have had similar problems, caused by devices which apparently generate
periodic interrupts.  In my case, the device was my Logitech Bus Mouse.

If I reset my PC prior to booting Minix, everything is ok.

Now if someone would just develop a mouse driver...

Phil Miller
Self-responsible for verbal self-incrimination.

..filler..

--
Phil Miller