[net.news.group] How do we cope with irresponsible news administrators?

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (10/23/85)

>From: news@wcom.UUCP (News Administrator)
>Newsgroups: net.misc.coke.ctl
>Subject: newgroup net.misc.coke
>Date: 21 Oct 85 04:06:04 GMT
>
>This is net.misc.coke.
And you are a jerk.

It seems to me that the thing to do is pressure the news administrator
at vax135 to turn off this guy's news.  Or maybe we should all
give Jim Scardelis a phone call.

I missed the original net.bizarre confrontations.  I had no idea how
angrily I would respond to such idiocy.  Would someone fill me in on
how we can cope with this?

Here's his map entry:

#N	wcom
#S	IBM PC/AT, Xenix 286
#O	Warner Computer Systems
#C	Jim Scardelis
#E	wcom!frodo
#T	(201) 843-0022
#P	Park 80 West, Plaza One, Saddle Brook, NJ 07662-5808
#L	41 05 N / 74 09 W
#R
#W	James Scardelis, 5/1/85
#U
#
#no known links now that timeinc is dead

network news administrator for MicroPro...
--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (10/25/85)

WHoa!  Before you go calling someone a jerk or suggesting that they
have their feed cut off because their site sent out a "newgroup" for
net.misc.coke, you might find out WHY he did that.  The admin of that
site (Jim Scardelis) has already posted an apology and explanation.  It
seems that he was using a shell file that came across net.sources a
while back named "mvjunk" and it ended up sending out the "newgroup"
message without him knowing about it.

Not only has he apologized, he even fixed the script and reposted the
fixed version to net.sources (article <837@wcom.UUCP>)!

Maybe he was less than wizardly to use that shell script without being
aware of the possible consequences, but I hardly think he is deserving
of abuse -- that kind of problem could easily happen to lots of other
site admins (and may, if they don't snarf the fixed version of the
shell file).  His apology and subsequent actual efforts to patch the
offending program show a higher level of responsibility than is usually
demonstrated on the net.

Please folks, don't automatically attribute things to malice or abject
stupidity when they can be explained by Murphy.  *ASK* before you
flame.  If the response shows that the person involved is a turkey,
then I'll join you with unloading both barrels.  However, as the
recipient  of a number of hasty flames, I am reluctant to just dump on
someone who may well not deserve it.
--
Gene "sometime in 1986" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332