[comp.os.minix] UUCP & mail for minix

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (02/20/88)

In article <3806@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
>does this mean you have uucp working for minix? and a mailer? i'm looking to
>port dcp to my tty driver but if you have something that already works,
>why don't you post it. i'll be most greatful if i could get uucp or clone
>working without the effort of a full port.

Yes, I have "uucp" and a mailer working on my system.  But I don't think
it's quite ready to release for general consumption yet (Just in the last
hour I discovered a bug where it doesn't deal with spool files whose
names are exactly 14 chars long...).  The uucp is DCP with the g-packet
driver stolen from UUPC (the latter being a better 3-window protocol to
DCP's 1-window protocol).  The mailer is "dmail", to which I've had to do
a fair bit of hacking to get around its BSD-isms.  I hacked together my
own little teeny-weeny "sendmail", which doesn't work too well... Pete
Housel mentioned that he got "smail" working on his machine.  Pete?  Could
you tell me more?  I took one look at smail and wondered if it would be
worth the bother... but if you've got it working maybe I'd like to see it.

I'll release these when I think they're ready.  If some of you REALLY REALLY
can't wait, I suppose I could send out alpha-test versions... but by email
only... caveat downloader, and all that...

   +----------------+  Jim Paradis                  linus--+
+--+-------------+  |  Encore Computer Corp.       necntc--|
|  | E N C O R E |  |  257 Cedar Hill St.           ihnp4--+-encore!paradis
|  +-------------+--+  Marlboro MA 01752           decvax--|
+----------------+     (617) 460-0500             talcott--+
...coated with sesame seeds, and garnished with lark's vomit!