[comp.os.minix] Cron.c problems

schro@nixpbe (02/23/88)

Subject: problems with cron

Hi there!

Awhile ago i posted a version of cron by Mr. S. R. Sampson
modified for minix.

Mr. Bing H. Bang reported a problem:
> i just noticed somebody posted a cron clone and just wanted to warn people
> that if you put this cron in your /etc/rc, this may screw up the tty signal
> handling for those of you who are using multiple screen tty drivers.

There have been several posting in the past about signal handling
so the problem may be with the kernel. I only have minix 1.1 with the
original tty driver and don't have any problems with cron (otherwise
i wouldn't have posted it :-)) except for running out of memory.
In the meantime Mr. Sampson posted his own version for minix and i would
like to hear if it has the same problem.

I'd like to comment on the problems of the original version
posted to comp.sources.wanted:

The easy ones:
 1. "#include <string.h>" is not needed.
 2. fopen() doesn't automatically creat the file in append mode.
 3. ctime() and localtime() are not in the library.

and..
 4. When you fire it up it starts processing crontab immediately
    and then every minute, but its not synchronized with the clock.
    So every minute a second or more is lost especially when there are
    several entries in crontab. After a while it will skip the next minute
    and crontab is executed less than 60 times per hour.

 5. Cron can't wait for termination of its child processes and therefore
    has to remove the zombies later +but+ the main loop was executed only
    once per minute and killed only one of them. If you started more than
    one process per minute the zombies piled up using all available memory
    so you couldn't even login.

and in addition..
    There is always not enough memory on my system and the situation became
    worse by running cron. So i tried to get rid of the zombies as soon as
    possible by executing the main loop more than once a minute.

I hope this is will bring us one step further to the ultimate version.

BTW: I'm running minix 1.1 on a 12.5MHz AT-clown with +only+ 512k base
     and 3MB extended memory. Although OS/2 runs without (additional :-))
     problems, i'd rather have a protected mode minix! When i tried minix
     the first time the biggest thing i could run was mined and no way to
     compile. After moving everything possible to the harddisk and building
     a minimum root system (100K total, 50k ramdisk) i can run the compiler
     using option -F but i still can't use make. Is this normal???
     Sometimes i go bananas getting messages like "can't..., out of memory"
     while having 3meg doing nothing but wasting power!
     Well, maybe this should be in another note...

Best regards
W.F.Schroeder

As always: "The opinions of my employer are not ... "
| W.F.Schroeder |  Workstation Software  | Paper-: Nixdorf Computer AG |
| UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!schro |         D-4790 Paderborn    |
| Phone: nat-5251-14-6694                |         Fed. Rep of Germany |