[comp.os.minix] desperately seeking pd vi clone

bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) (02/24/88)

elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...

i'd do the work if somebody could point me to the right source...

--
Bing H. Bang      +--------------------------------------------------------+
Harris/Lanier     |OS/2 on PS/2: Half an operating system on half a machine|

mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) (02/27/88)

In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
>elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
>vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
>i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...
Well if you are REALLY desperate there is something called TVX which is
a EMACS/VI subset clone (compile time option).  It runs on the PC but I
am also a die-hard vi man and this wasn't close enough for me.
If your really interested I can send it although we may not have the
latest version.  Anybody else out there have any comments on TVX?
--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode

moran@tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran) (02/27/88)

In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM>, bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) writes:
> elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
> vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
> i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...
In comp.sys.atari.st there has been a similar request and a reply that in
the Usenet archives is "STEVIE" which is a PD vi with, as I recall it was
said, about half the commands implemented.  If there was in indication of
WHERE in the archives, I don't remember it.  Nor was there any discussion
of how unique to atari ST's it is.

	Hope this is of some value to you.,

P.S.
	We are are not in the maps yet.  My mail path is:
		uunet!umbc3!tron!moran

steve@basser.oz (Stephen Russell) (02/29/88)

In article <1335@polyslo.UUCP> mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) writes:
>In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
>>elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
>>vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
>>i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...

>Well if you are REALLY desperate there is something called TVX which is
>a EMACS/VI subset clone (compile time option).  It runs on the PC but I
>am also a die-hard vi man and this wasn't close enough for me.
>If your really interested I can send it although we may not have the
>latest version.  Anybody else out there have any comments on TVX?

I also found TVX too different from vi to be acceptable. It is also
fairly buggy - took a while to get it going. Its way of handing large
files was also painful (manually `paging' in parts).

However, there is an alternative. Bad news first - it is not PD.
However, it might still be usable. The source is Webb Miller's "A Software
Tools Primer", Prentice-Hall, 1987. It is, of course, copyright. However,
P-H indicate that copies of the sources are available, but give no details
apart from an address to write to. Miller describes a reasonably complete
(and true) subset of vi. It is also remarkably well written - I consider
it some of the best C code I have seen published anywhere. I have extended
it quite a bit, to include the following:

- edit large files in small memory systems (such as Minix)
- better support for a wide range of terminals (but no termcap
  screen driver yet - not a problem for Minix?)
- egrep-style patterns
- multiple marks
- autoindent, and 'C' modes
- addresses:
	b B e f F G h H j k l L M n N t T w W ^ $ 0 / ? , ; ' + - <cr> `
- operators (combine with addresses):
	c d y < >
- commands:
	a A C D ^g i I J m o O p P r s S u x X ZZ .
	:w :n :e :set :r :q

My current version works on UNIX V7, MS-DOS and CP/M (yep, even a Z80).
It is quite compact - expect <32K a.out file for Minix.

It doesn't have keyboard mapping, function keys, most "ex" commands, and some
other esoterica, and the syntax for the ":" commands is somewhat different from
"vi". However, it IS VERY USABLE in its current form. I will probably add ":!"
in the next few days.

Now, how do we get to use this version? The original is copyright. Anyone
in the US want to get Prentice-Hall's permission to distribute sources
DERIVED from the original? Is this possible? If not, I guess I could try
finding a local Minix system, compile it, and distribute the executable. So,
could someone there ring P-H (or even Webb Miller) and test their
feelings on this? Either way, we may get something going soon.

bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) (03/02/88)

In article <109@tron.UUCP> moran@tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran) writes:
]In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM>, bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) writes:
]> elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
]> vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
]> i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...
]In comp.sys.atari.st there has been a similar request and a reply that in
]the Usenet archives is "STEVIE" which is a PD vi with, as I recall it was
]said, about half the commands implemented.  If there was in indication of
]WHERE in the archives, I don't remember it.  Nor was there any discussion
]of how unique to atari ST's it is.
]
so far this stevie thing looks like the best lead. anybody know a ST owner
that might have the sources?

--

blank%ucscd.UCSC.EDU@ucscc.ucsc.edu (John Weber) (03/03/88)

	Newsgroups: comp.os.minix

>In article Bing Bang <bing@galbp.lbp.harris.com> writes:
>In article <109@tron.UUCP> moran@tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran) writes:
>]In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM>, bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) writes:
>]> elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
>]> vi clone, even if written for (yuk) DOS that could be modified for minix?
>]> i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...
>]In comp.sys.atari.st there has been a similar request and a reply that in
>]the Usenet archives is "STEVIE" which is a PD vi with, as I recall it was
>]said, about half the commands implemented.  If there was in indication of
>]WHERE in the archives, I don't remember it.  Nor was there any discussion
>]of how unique to atari ST's it is.
>]
>so far this stevie thing looks like the best lead. anybody know a ST owner
>that might have the sources?
>

>--
>Bing H. Bang      +--------------------------------------------------------+
>Harris/Lanier     |OS/2 on PS/2: Half an operating system on half a machine|
>Atlanta GA        +--------------------------------------------------------+

	A good lead might be Steven Grimm, koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu.  He
	is taking over the moderation of the comp.sources.atari.st
	and comp.binaries.atari.st groups.  He is a good bet for having
	access to the STEVIE sources.  The uucp path to him is
	...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|',',',',','###_|'| John Weber,  "Just another Celtic grunt"      |
|',',',','###_|','|                                               |
|',',','###_|','##|            UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscd!blank |
|',','###_|','####|                     or     !ucscc!ucscb!blank |
|','###_|','######|            ARPA: blank@ucscb.ucsc.edu         |
|'###_|','########|                  blank@ucscd.ucsc.edu         |
|##_|','##########|            BITNET: blank%ucscd.BITNET         |
|_|','############|                                               |
+-----------------+ Disk space?  We don' need no stinking         |
				  |   disk space!                                 |
Line Eater food.  +-----------------------------------------------+

martin@marque.mu.edu (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/06/88)

In article <109@tron.UUCP> moran@tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran) writes:
>In article <4002@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM>, bing@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Bing Bang) writes:
>> elle looks good but i am a true-to-the-death vi man. isn't there a public domain
>> vi clone, i don't need the full vi; a subset would be good enough...
>In comp.sys.atari.st there has been a similar request and a reply that in
>the Usenet archives is "STEVIE" which is a PD vi with, as I recall it was
>said, about half the commands implemented.
>(There wasn't) any discussion of how unique to atari ST's it is.

	I don't know how unique to the ST Stevie is personally, but I have the
C source, if you'd like it. Drop me a line here or on lakesys
(martin@lakesys.UUCP) and I'll e-mail it to you.

	Marty Wiedmeyer