[comp.os.minix] desperately seeking pd vi clone, stevie

gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) (03/03/88)

In article <4320@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) writes:
>so far this stevie thing looks like the best lead. anybody know a ST owner
>that might have the sources?

Stevie is not as good as you may concluded from the postings on the net.
I rate it as a 'first try, but needs loads of extra work to be done'.
Stevie has only a small set of vi commands, no ex mode (as I remember),
trouble reading files larger than 24K and screen update algorithms that make
your system look like a 1 bit processor.

Recently a very good vi clone, called LEVEE, was sent out on
comp.sys.atari.st. This clone *is good*. It has most of vi commands it has an
ex mode, reasonable set of RE, good screen update algorithms and it works
in all possible screen modes (or better: it works in B&W regardless of the
size of the font you use). Only trouble is: the sources are not available
directly.

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet

martin@marque.mu.edu (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/06/88)

In article <439@nikhefh.hep.nl> gert@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gert Poletiek) writes:
>Recently a very good vi clone, called LEVEE, was sent out on
>comp.sys.atari.st. This clone *is good*. It has most of vi commands it has an
>ex mode, reasonable set of RE, good screen update algorithms (etc.)
>Only trouble is: the sources are not available directly.

	The reason the sources for LEVEE are not available is because it is
Shareware, not PD. It is a very nice editor.

	Marty Wiedmeyer