[comp.os.minix] atari minix ?

PVR%BGERUG51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (03/31/88)

Date: 31-MAR-1988 11:51:09.74
From: PVR AT BGERUG51
To:   GATEWAY::"info-minix@udel.edu"
Subj: atari minix ?
Hello,

I am new to this news group, so excuse me if I pose some strange questions.

We have bought Minix (it is somewhat odd that many of the people on this
mailbox still have to buy the thing), both for educational purposes and for
porting it to other machines (atari, transputer, ...). The version that
Prentice-Hall distributes at this very moment is 1.2 (the most recent one
I hope).

I loved Barnacle Wes' reply to an Amiga supporter, but I would like to know
if there is anyone out there who has ported Minix to an Atari ST ? If so,
PLEASE let me know.

I presume there must be an Atari newsgroup somewhere. Has anyone got the
email address of the administrator of this group ?

Patrick Van Renterghem,
State University of Ghent,
Grote Steenweg Noord 2,
B-9710 Ghent-Zwijnaarde (Belgium)
tel : +32 91 22 57 55
email: PVR@BGERUG51 on Bitnet

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/03/88)

In article <1810@louie.udel.EDU>, PVR%BGERUG51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> From: PVR AT BGERUG51
> Subj: atari minix ?

> I loved Barnacle Wes' reply to an Amiga supporter, but I would like to know
> if there is anyone out there who has ported Minix to an Atari ST ? If so,
> PLEASE let me know.

Thank you.  I was being rather harsh with the guy, but when someone
asks about something new to him, I see little reason to just tell him
he (or she) doesn't want it.  You can tell her to look for
such-and-such messages from someone who archives them, or that there
are technical hurdles to overcome, but not that they don't want them.

Yes, someone is doing an Atari ST port of Minix - Andy Tanenbaum.
Hopefully, someone will port the Atari version to the Amiga.  I am
trying to get some of the local whiz kids here to do it with me;
everyone is interested, but many lack the time.  We'll be going ahead
with the project, but not making any public gaurantees about when (or
even if) it will be finished.

> I presume there must be an Atari newsgroup somewhere. Has anyone got the
> email address of the administrator of this group ?

Yes, there is a comp.sys.atari.st newsgroup, but it is not moderated,
so I don't know how you would get it over the internet.  UUCP, for all
of it's problems, is still pretty good in this area.

	Wes Peters
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!