[comp.os.minix] MINIX on ITT 386s

C0033003%DBSTU1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (03/31/88)

Is there someone out in the world / in netland who has experience
with MINIX running on ITT 80386 systems ( they call it XTRA professional
series 700 ) ?

After using it on ATs I'd like to bring MINIX to this new machine. But
only the boot disk works. After start loading the root file system
from the 2nd floppy the machine can only be reactivated by a hard
reset ( power on ).

Disc controller is made by DATA TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION ( who ever that
may be ).

Sounds familiar to someone ?

Any contribution would be appreciated.

Detlef J. Schmidt           C0033003 at DBSTU1.BITNET
Computing center            RZ
University of Brunswick       TU
( ye olde one )                 BS

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/03/88)

In article <1814@louie.udel.EDU>, C0033003%DBSTU1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> Is there someone out in the world / in netland who has experience
> with MINIX running on ITT 80386 systems ( they call it XTRA professional
> series 700 ) ?
>
> After using it on ATs I'd like to bring MINIX to this new machine. But
> only the boot disk works. After start loading the root file system
> from the 2nd floppy the machine can only be reactivated by a hard
> reset ( power on ).

This is the same behavior I've noted when trying to boot Minix on two
different 386 machines: AMT 386, with 64K SRAM cache, and Acer 1100,
using interleaved RAM.  I've even tried slowing them to 6 MHz - still
didn't work.  We began tracing the problem, and decided it probably
lives in the BIOS.  We have some NEC APC IV's here, 2 with Rev A BIOS,
and 2 with Rev B BIOS.  The two with Rev B boot Minix without
problems, the two with Rev A act the same as the 386s.

When you press `=' to tell the Minix loader program to load Minix, it
makes a BIOS call to do something (I can't remember what, and I can't
call anyone right now, obie is on the phone to wsccs).  Apparently,
this BIOS call is where it dies.  I think this BIOS call is only made
in the AT version of Minix.

	Wes Peters
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!