[comp.os.minix] Problems with RS232 TTY driver & asld

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (04/02/88)

I received the mods for Jim Paridis's RS-232 TTY driver and am having trouble
getting them to link together into the kernel.  The problem is that asld
gives me an error message like:

	main.s:	454, Too big

I've tried linking it with the new version of asld that supports the split I+D
space, but I get the same results.  I've gone over the README file for the
TTY driver about a dozen times, re-done and re-compiled everything at least
twice, but I'm still stuck.  What might I be doing wrong?

(Aside: My setup is an AT clone with 640K using the 640K PC version of minix,
        Minix version 1.2 (about a week old), with a 1.2M floppy for disk
	0 and a 360K floppy for disk 1.  I've tried re-linking everything on
	both floppies and have had the same results).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

- Tom Frauenhofer	tfra_c56@vera.cc.rochester.edu  tvf@cci632.UUCP
			...!rochester!cci632!ccird3!tvf

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (04/04/88)

In article <5281@cci632.UUCP> tfra_c56@vera.cc.rochester.edu (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>I received the mods for Jim Paridis's RS-232 TTY driver and am having trouble
>getting them to link together into the kernel.  The problem is that asld
>gives me an error message like:
>	main.s:	454, Too big
One thing that might cause the problem is lack of space in /tmp.  Both cc and
asld start doing weird things when space on /tmp runs out.  Nowadays I always
when rebuilding the kernel mount a diskette with an empty filesystem on /tmp
to be sure that I have enough free space.  360K is more than enough; the
~50K you usually have free on the root file system often isn't.
  Of course, it may not be that at all.  But I've had no problems with
recompiling the kernel with the new tty driver (apart from spending two
days messing with it until I discovered that 4.77MHz machines just can't
handle 2400 baud no matter how much you twiddle the parameters :-(.
Richard Todd		Dubious Domain: rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069 	Fido:1:147/1
UUCP: ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!rmtodd

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (04/05/88)

In article <1160@uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
>In article <5281@cci632.UUCP> tfra_c56@vera.cc.rochester.edu (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>>I received the mods for Jim Paridis's RS-232 TTY driver and am having trouble
>>getting them to link together into the kernel.  The problem is that asld
>>gives me an error message like:
>>	main.s:	454, Too big
>One thing that might cause the problem is lack of space in /tmp.  Both cc and
>asld start doing weird things when space on /tmp runs out.  Nowadays I always

There is what I consider a BUG in 'cc.c'.  It does not pass the '-T' (specify
termporary directory) flag to asld.  I fixed this by placing an
"append(&ASLD_FLAGS, str);" after the "case 'T':" in cc.c. Then the "-T."
in the Makefile will then be passed through to asld.  Space in the current
directory is another issue if you're compiling off of floppies (I've found
a hard disk to be necessary for recompiling Minix).
--
Glen Overby
Bitnet:  ncoverby@ndsuvax