[comp.os.minix] tmp solutions

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James DaSilva) (04/23/88)

In article <2234@louie.udel.EDU> frank@morgan.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
>James da Silva <mimsy!jds> (me) writes:
>
>>>The shell has the /tmp directory hard-coded into the source that deals with
>>>'here' files.  grep for it.  A quick fix for you would be to change it to
>>>put the temp file in '.' since you have a hard disk.  A better fix would be
>>>to add a -T option to sh, to match cc and asld.
>
>My solution to the lack of /tmp space on the ram disk is to make a partition
>on the hard disk and mount it as /tmp.  I think this is a better solution
>since "sh" is certainly not the only program that creates files in /tmp.
>Looking for all portential users of /tmp and adding a -T option to each one
>is not my idea of a good time.  Of course, once I've done this, I'll have
>to remember to use "-T."  Moving /tmp to a device with more space is (to
>my mind) a simpler and more general solution.

I like your solution, too, but the 4 partition-per-drive limit for PC's gets in
the way quickly.  Adding a partition for /tmp adds to the burden.  I've already
got one for DOS, one for Minix, and one for the Minix RAM disk image.  What
happens when we want to add a swap partition?

There is a relatively easy patch someone posted that makes a hard disk
partition the root file system, then you can reserve the ram disk for /tmp
(or leave /tmp on the hard disk).

Better still would be a decent sized cache in place of the ram disk, and keep
/tmp on the root file system (on the hard disk).

Maybe what we really need is symlinks to help reconcile all these different
configurations with the habit of unix programs to hardcode directory
locations.  (Before I get flamed, I'm not saying this is a *bad* habit).

						- Jaime

usenet:   uunet!mimsy!jds 				James da Silva
internet: jds@mimsy.umd.edu
      "Stand on each other's shoulders, not on each other's toes."