[comp.os.minix] ST Minix/Zenith Eazy

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vince Manis) (04/28/88)

I was considering mailing these enquiries directly to Andy Tanenbaum,
but perhaps there's somebody else out there in a position to know the
answers (maybe they've even been posted here; I'm a new reader).

1) Will ST Minix support segments larger than 64K?

2) What C compiler will be distributed with it? In particular, will
that compiler support function prototypes?

Also, is a version of Minix known to run on a Zenith Eazy PC (XT compatible)?

Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Department of Computer Science   | manis@ubc.csnet
University of British Columbia   | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
<<NOTE NEW ADDRESS>>             |      ubc-cs!manis

nwc@cunixc.columbia.edu (Nick Christopher) (04/30/88)

To: ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP
Subject: Re: /lib/cem /lib/cpp
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Bcc:

I eventually found the problem on my own.  Its a bug (I think) is su.
The problem was that:

su root != login root

i.e. there are lots of things you can do when you originally login as root
that you can not if you su to root.  For instance rm does not override
protections as su-root but does as login-root. Also su-root can not use chown.
I thought that su'ing to and id made you have that ID's uid and that programs
checked the uid.  Well if I am right and su is broken maybe I'll fix it and
post it.

\n
--
		"I am the Lorvax. I speak for the machines."
nwc%cunixc@columbia, columbia!cunixc!nwc  BITNET: nwcus@cuvma

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (05/02/88)

In article <2243@ubc-cs.UUCP>, manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vince Manis) writes:
> 1) Will ST Minix support segments larger than 64K?

Yes.  Andy Tanenbaum said it would a couple of months ago, and voiced
concern that this would cause portability problems between the ST and
PC versions of Minix.  Oh well - I'm willing to accept non-portability
for the ability to write large programs, if necessary, on my ST.

> 2) What C compiler will be distributed with it? In particular, will
> that compiler support function prototypes?

This was answered in the message just before yours here at obie.  It
is the Amsterdam Compiler Kit (ACK) compiler, with the 68000 backend.
I don't think it supports function prototypes, the PC version
doesn't.
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!uplherc!