[comp.os.minix] C compiler in Atari port

tnsgvdp@dutrun.UUCP (Ronald van der Pol) (04/25/88)

Just curious.
Does anybody know how the people that did the Atari ST port included a
c compiler into the port? They couldn't use the MINIX cc compiler
because this generates Intel 8088 code. So what did they do?
- Did they use the Motorola 68000 backend of the ACK?
- Did they hack around in the binaries of the MINIX cc compiler?
- or ...?
Thanks

            Ronald van der Pol

          UUCP:    ...!mcvax!dutrun!tnsgvdp

          ARPANET: tnsgvdp%dutrun.uucp@mcvax.cwi.nl

          SURFNET: dutrun::tnsgvdp

          FIDO:    500/11   Ronald Van.der.pol

          SNAIL:   Delft University of Technology
                   Department of Applied Physics
                   Solid State / Superconductivity
                   Lorentzweg 1
                   2628 CJ  Delft
                   The Netherlands

     (The USS Enterprise sends you greetings from the 23rd century)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/27/88)

In article <217@dutrun.UUCP> tnsgvdp@dutrun.UUCP (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>Does anybody know how the people that did the Atari ST port included a
>c compiler into the port?
>- Did they use the Motorola 68000 backend of the ACK?

That is indeed correct.  The MINIX compilers are derived from ACK, so it
was a straightforward matter to switch from the 8088 backend to the 68000
backend.  The ACK system is described in Communications of the ACM, Sept.
1983.  I realize that everyone already knows this, but if I don't include
enough filler here, Pnews will complain that the included text is longer
than my text and refuse to post the message.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

johan@nlgvax.UUCP (Johan Stevenson) (04/29/88)

In article <217@dutrun.UUCP> tnsgvdp@dutrun.UUCP (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>Does anybody know how the people that did the Atari ST port included a
>c compiler into the port? They couldn't use the MINIX cc compiler
>because this generates Intel 8088 code. So what did they do?
>- Did they use the Motorola 68000 backend of the ACK?
>- Did they hack around in the binaries of the MINIX cc compiler?
>- or ...?

The C compiler for MINIX-ST is made by Ceriel Jacobs from the
Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. It is based on ACK.
The 68000 backend uses 2-byte ints and 4-byte pointers.
The MINIX-ST C compiler conatins a separate assembler and linker
in contrast with MINIX-PC that uses a combined assembler/linker.
The loadfile format is similar to the format used for MINIX-PC,
except that relocation information is added (same format as used by
.PRG files under TOS).

				Johan W. Stevenson,
				Philips Research Laboratories,
				Project Centre Geldrop,
				Building XR, Room 15,
				Willem Alexanderlaan 7B,
				5664 AN Geldrop, The Netherlands.
				phone: +31 40 892205
				uucp: mcvax!nlgvax!johan

FYS-EH%FINTUVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Esa Heinonen) (05/06/88)

>The MINIX-ST C compiler conatins a separate assembler and linker
>in contrast with MINIX-PC that uses a combined assembler/linker.
>The loadfile format is similar to the format used for MINIX-PC,
>except that relocation information is added (same format as used by
>.PRG files under TOS).

Is the TOS relocation information the same as in CP/M-68K? I'd like to
use my CP/M-68K compiler (please don't laugh) for porting MINIX
to my 68000 computer (not an ST).

      Esa Heinonen
      FYS-EH at FINTUVM.BITNET
      University of Turku, Finland