[comp.os.minix] Mesage headed for this BBoard

luckenba@UDEL.EDU (Eric Luckenbaugh) (05/12/88)

------- Forwarded Message

From:     fdg@sortac.uucp
Date:     Wed, 11 May 88 19:44:32 EDT

	William,

	There are at least two ways to get a copy of MINIX.  Get Andrew
	S. Tanenbaum's book "Operating Systems, Design and Implementation"
	from either the publisher, Prentice-Hall, or B. Dalton book stores.
	There is a card in the back of the book to be used in ordering the
	MINIX software.  Printice-Hall will also sell the software directly.
	Jim Feagan (201) 592-3123 was handleing the software the last time I
	called.  The other number I have is 800-526-0485 which I believe is the
	switchboard at Prentice-Hall.  You can order Minix for an IBM PC with
	512K or 640K of RAM.  You can also get Minix for the IBM AT.  Be sure
	and specify which version you want.  You will get all of the code, in
	source, for either one but the binary you recieve will be for the
	system specified.
	Prentice-Hall is now shipping is the latest version, release 1.2. The
	price should still be $ 79.95 for the software and about $ 35.00 for
	the book.  You will need the book because it is not only an excellent
	book on operating systems but it contains the MINIX user's manual and
	other vital information, such as how to build a new boot disk.

	I hope this has helped.  Good luck, I know you will enjoy useing
	MINIX.  I have had more fun with it than anything else I have used.
	Besides it turns your PC into a "real" computer.  It is easy to add
	enhancements.  If you monitor comp.os.minix you will pickup the bug
	reports and posted enhancesments.

	BTW I run my Minix on an AT&T PC-6300.

				Fred Gant
				AT&T Network Systems