[comp.os.minix] THE BOOK in germany

schro@nixpbe (04/29/88)

Hi, there!

I found the book "OPERATING SYSTEMS" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum in a library.
I thougth that's the kind of stuff you want on your private bookshelf and
the colored hardcover even makes it look good.
So i wrote down the ISBN 0-13-637406-9 and ordered it through a local
bookstore.  It arrived yesterday after 11 weeks.

The price tag -> 116.80 Deutsche Mark
                 and it's the paperback version!
                 ISBN 0-13-637331-3

Exchange rates are below 1.70DM for the US$ these days so i paid about 65$.
The cover says it's an "especially priced series" for students. What kind
of student can afford this?

How much is it in the states?  29.95$ ?

If Andy gets the extra bucks it's ok, but i doubt it.
I learned my lesson. Next time i don't go to the bookstore, i'll go
to the copier. A copy for private use only is legal in germany.

Where do i get Minix 1.2 in germany ?  300DM ??

"Es war schon immer etwas teurer, einen besonderen Geschmack zu haben."

W.F.Schroeder

+---------------+------------------------+-----------------------------+
| W.F.Schroeder |  Workstation Software  | Paper-: Nixdorf Computer AG |
+---------------+------------------------+ mail  : Pontanusstr. 55     |
| UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!schro |         D-4790 Paderborn    |
| Phone: nat-5251-14-6694                |         Fed. Rep of Germany |
+----------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/02/88)

In article <31000006@nixpbe.UUCP> schro@nixpbe writes:
>I found the book "OPERATING SYSTEMS" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum in a library.
>
>The price tag -> 116.80 Deutsche Mark
>                 and it's the paperback version!

I know.  The same is true of the rest of Europe.  Imported products are
always expensive.  There are so many middlemen.  When I was a student at
Berkeley, I bought a Volkswagen in California.  All my friends said I was
crazy.  They all flew to Germany, bought their Volkswagens there, drove them
around Europe for a month, flew back, and had the cars shipped back to
California.  And all this cost less than I paid locally.  Perhaps I should
have just photocopied a friend's car, only we didn't have three dimensional
photocopiers back then.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

marvin@jungfrau.UUCP (Rico und Jan) (05/02/88)

In article <31000006@nixpbe.UUCP> schro@nixpbe writes:
>The price tag -> 116.80 Deutsche Mark
>                 and it's the paperback version!
>
>W.F.Schroeder

Where did you buy the book ??? Here in Switzerland, they have it in
stock at the local bookstores and it costs about 40 Swiss Francs, which
is about 50 Deutsche Mark or 30 US Dollars.....

Tomas Felner

P.S.: I'm talking about the paperback version with the red cover.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (05/02/88)

In article <31000006@nixpbe.UUCP> schro@nixpbe writes:

>I found the book "OPERATING SYSTEMS" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum in a library.
>I thought that's the kind of stuff you want on your private bookshelf and
>the colored hardcover even makes it look good.
>So i wrote down the ISBN 0-13-637406-9 and ordered it through a local
>bookstore.  It arrived yesterday after 11 weeks.
>
>The price tag -> 116.80 Deutsche Mark
>                 and it's the paperback version!
>                 ISBN 0-13-637331-3
>
>Exchange rates are below 1.70DM for the US$ these days so i paid about 65$.
>The cover says it's an "especially priced series" for students. What kind
>of student can afford this?

Blame the trade association of German booksellers, the "Boersenverein des
Deutschen Buchhandels" in Frankfurt. The book trade has always used its own
exchange rates, which are supposed to cover the extra expenses associated with
importing books from outside the German-speaking world. There were times when
I worked in a bookstore in Vienna (the Austrian booktrade works just like the
German trade) when the booktrade exchange rate for the dollar or pound was
about twice as expensive as the bank exchange rate.

The German book trade is used to trade discounts of up to 40% even on single
copy orders, but most foreign publishers offer a maximum of 15% unless you order
large quantitites per title. Add to that the shipping charges, and the fact that
in the US, sales tax is not included in the cover price while in most of Europe
it is, and you can see why they feel tempted to use the exchange rate to
increase their profit margin.

As for Andy's book, the paperback version is not available in the States, and
the hard cover costs more like $40.

I would not suggest photo copies -- they don't come close to the nice look of
the colored cover on your bookshelf :-) . Rather, if you have a credit card
(Visa, Eurocard/Mastercard, or Amex), you should have little trouble ordering
books from some of the mailorder bookstores over here. Of course, if you order
air mail, you may end up paying about the same as in a German bookstore.
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

pcm@iwarpv.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (05/02/88)

In article <31000006@nixpbe.UUCP> schro@nixpbe writes:
>I found the book "OPERATING SYSTEMS" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum in a library.
>[...] It arrived yesterday after 11 weeks.

    It IS ridiculous the amount of time it takes for Prentice-Hall to
    respond to mail orders.  It took many weeks for my disks to arrive.

> [...] I paid about 65$.
>How much is it in the states?  29.95$ ?

    Prices in Portland, Oregon range between $44 and $47.
    The prices are also in that general range in Seattle, Washington.

>The cover says it's an "especially priced series" for students. What kind
>of student can afford this?

    Obviously, the kind who thinks it's worth $65.

>If Andy gets the extra bucks it's ok, but i doubt it.

    Me too.

>I learned my lesson. Next time i don't go to the bookstore, i'll go
>to the copier. A copy for private use only is legal in germany.

     Shame on you, though I can't say I blame you!

Phil Miller
{...}!tektronix!omepd!iwarp!pcm

u14@nikhefh.hep.nl (Daan Josephus Jitta) (05/03/88)

In article <31000006@nixpbe.UUCP> schro@nixpbe writes:

>I found the book "OPERATING SYSTEMS" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum in a library.
> [ stuff deleted ]
>The price tag -> 116.80 Deutsche Mark
>                 and it's the paperback version!
>                 ISBN 0-13-637331-3

For your information: I bought Tanenbaums book last february in a
bookshop here in Amsterdam. I guess it's the same book (red paper back,
same ISBN number). I paid fl. 67.10 (including taxes), that's about 60
Deutsche Mark.  Perhaps you found yourself an expensive bookstore??

Daan Josephus Jitta.

nwc@cunixc.columbia.edu (Nick Christopher) (05/08/88)

32.00 $ in New York city!

\n
--
		"I am the Lorvax. I speak for the machines."
nwc%cunixc@columbia, columbia!cunixc!nwc  BITNET: nwcus@cuvma

hug@litp.UUCP (Hubert GENTY) (05/28/88)

En France, les personnes occupe'es par Minix sont encore isole'es. C'est
pourquoi je propose a` toute personne inte're'sse'e par Minix de m'envoyer:

- La version de Minix sur laquelle elle travaille,
- L'ordinateur  sur lequel Minix  est implante' avec ses caracte'ristiques:
	= Processeur, Coprocesseurs
	= Taille me'moire
	= Simple ou double drive
	= Disque dur
- Ses travaux sur Minix, les proble`mes re'solus par elle,
- Ses innovations ( ses de'veloppements)
- Ses suggestions ( de'veloppements inte'ressants, documentation , autre...)

Afin de compiler ces renseignements en un fichier qui sera envoye' en
retour a` tous ceux qui auront bien voulu me re'pondre.

Merci d'avance et a` vos plumes!

H.Genty
inria!litp!hug