[comp.os.minix] Reading MINIX disks on Microport UNIX or SCO XENIX?

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (06/15/88)

I would like to do all the upgrade work from MINIX 1.1 to 1.3 on
my AT with Microport UNIX.

Has anyone got the "readfs" utility to work under either Microport or
Xenix, or even on some other UNIX system which can read PC diskettes?
(i.e. 3Bx?)

Dr. Tanenbaum, does it run under PC/IX? If so, could you mail me the
source that compiles under PC/IX, with all the required non-UNIX
(i.e. MINIX) header files?

Anyone else?

I do not currently have access to a system which will run MINIX
unmodified, and thus cannot use the dosread/doswrite programs.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Wolf Paul

UUCP:   killer!dcs!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@dcs.UUCP                      TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (06/16/88)

In article <4462@killer.UUCP>, wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
 > I would like to do all the upgrade work from MINIX 1.1 to 1.3 on
 > my AT with Microport UNIX.
 >
 > Has anyone got the "readfs" utility to work under either Microport or
 > Xenix, or even on some other UNIX system which can read PC diskettes?
 > (i.e. 3Bx?)
 >
 > Dr. Tanenbaum, does it run under PC/IX? If so, could you mail me the
 > source that compiles under PC/IX, with all the required non-UNIX
 > (i.e. MINIX) header files?
 >
 > Anyone else?
 >
 > I do not currently have access to a system which will run MINIX
 > unmodified, and thus cannot use the dosread/doswrite programs.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any help!
 >
 > Wolf Paul

I have a rudimentary program that runs under Microport (and should run
under Xenix) that will read Minix filesystems and allow you to cd around
within them and copy files from them.  If anyone else wants it, send me
mail.

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!jack,ihnp4!jack, hp-sdd!crash, pyramid, uport}!sdeggo!dave

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/19/88)

In article <4462@killer.UUCP> wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
>Dr. Tanenbaum, does it [readfs] run under PC/IX?
The normal source should compile.  All of the include files should be the MINIX
ones, except stdio.h, which be PC-IX's normal one.`

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)
--
Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)