[comp.os.minix] code trouble

C0033003%DBSTU1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (06/23/88)

 Glen Overby <ncoverby@NDSUVAX.UUCP> writes:
>binaries which come across Bitnet.  For some reason, the bitnet transfer
>mechanisms think it is their duty to remove all trailing blanks from
>everything that they touch.  The people who were unable to get elle to
>work may be on bitnet.............

I'm afraid this is not the only problem. As BITNET is based on that
( curious ) EBCDIC code the UUENCODEd files have to be translated to
EBCDIC in the gateways and back at the user node to ASCII UUENCODEd files.
Usualy by a different translation table. I know of 4 different EBCDIC
codes ( at least ) so there's nearly no chance to omit those troubles.

So here is an example of some critical charcters. It shows the hexvalue
of the EBCDIC character and the explanation what it should be. Could
someone out there in networld ( on ARPA usually ) post a similar file
so we might have a chance on BITNET to patch the UUENCODED files befor
reconvert and UUDECODE them !?!

backslash        \  O-Uml  E0
left sq braket   [  A-Uml  AD
right sq braket  ]  U-Uml  BD
exclam. mark     |         4F
vert bar           o-Uml  6A
left brace       {  a-Uml  C0
right brace      }  u-Uml  D0
tilde            ~  Eszet  A1
undefined                 4A
undefined        !         5A
ear              @  paragr 7C
                 ^         ^ hexvalue of the EBCDIC character
                 ^ this is the character you should watch for

Detlef J. Schmidt
computing center
University Brunswick
.