[comp.os.minix] minix vendors

sliu@aramis.rutgers.edu (Steven C. Liu) (07/05/88)

Hi,

I'm relatively new to minix (and to this bboard), and would appreciate
someone telling me where I can get a reasonable deal in buying minix
for a micro, and also what micros would be best suited for using
minix.

Thanks in advance.

						Steven C. Liu

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/07/88)

In article <Jul.5.12.59.39.1988.24080@aramis.rutgers.edu>, sliu@aramis.rutgers.edu (Steven C. Liu) writes:
> I'm relatively new to minix (and to this bboard), and would appreciate
> someone telling me where I can get a reasonable deal in buying minix
> for a micro, and also what micros would be best suited for using
> minix.

That would depend on how much money you have.  If you don't have much, a
1040ST with monochrome monitor would be a good computer for Minix.  You
could add a hard disk later when you could afford it.

If, on the other hand, money is not that much of a problem, you would
want to get a Mega-4ST, again with the monochrome monitor.  You would
also want to get one of Supra's 20- or 30-meg hard disks that fit inside
the Mega case.  This would give you a VERY nice Minix computer - 8Mhz
68000 processor, 4 meg RAM, 640x400 Monochrome graphics, 20 or 30 meg of
disk space, etc.  Need I say more?

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (07/12/88)

In article <85@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>68000 processor, 4 meg RAM, 640x400 Monochrome graphics, 20 or 30 meg of
>disk space, etc.  Need I say more?

Yes! Where do I get the ST Minix (here in Germany).
Is ist out in the USA by now?

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
High on a rocky promontory sat an Electric Monk on a bored horse. (D. Adams)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/13/88)

In article <2079@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>Where do I get the ST Minix (here in Germany).

It is not out yet.  I expect it out around Sept. in the U.S., and perhaps a
month later in Europe.  I'll post a detailed announcement at the end of
August, when I have definite dates.  P-H is well aware that Atari's are
very popular in Europe (much more than in the U.S.) and is trying to set up
dealers in Germany, Switzerland etc.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

frank@morgan.com (Frank Wortner) (07/13/88)

In article <2079@netmbx.UUCP> Hartmut Semken <netmbx!hase> writes:
>>In article <85@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>>>68000 processor, 4 meg RAM, 640x400 Monochrome graphics, 20 or 30 meg of
>>>disk space, etc.  Need I say more?
>>Yes! Where do I get the ST Minix (here in Germany).
>>Is ist out in the USA by now?

>>hase
>>--
>>Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
>>High on a rocky promontory sat an Electric Monk on a bored horse. (D. Adams)

The answer, unfortunately, is "No."  wes@obie.UUCP was jumping the gun a bit.
If you are willing to wait for a few more months, the system he suggested would
indeed be a nice one.
						Frank