[comp.os.minix] ACK '386 backend ?

droege@infko.UUCP (Detlev Droege) (07/18/88)

In article <846@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>space considerably in excess of 1 MB, and more.  This is the full ACK,
>which is indeed sold for $995 (university price) and is aimed at VAX and SUN
>class machines, not PC and AT class machines. It also includes front ends for
>other languages and back ends for 8080/8086/Z80/Z8000/68000/68020/VAX/PDP-11
>6502/NS32032 and other CPUs.

Is there a 80386 backend under development ?

I think, there should be a number of 386-ATs around now, and it
might be interesting to use the features of that CPU
for another Version of MINIX.
The best would be to use MINIX-PC as development System for
MINIX-386, and thus to have a cross-compiler with just
another backend as the usual MINIX cc.

So 1) is there or will there be a 80386 backend for the ACK System,
that 2) will run under MINIX-PC ?

	Detlev
--
Detlev Droege, Uni Koblenz (EWH), Informatik / Rechenzentrum,
	       Rheinau 3-4, D-5400 Koblenz  (West Germany)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/20/88)

In article <387@infko.UUCP> droege@infko.UUCP (Detlev Droege) writes:
>Is there a 80386 backend under development ?

Not at the moment, although the 8088 code generator of course works on
the 386.  Perhaps someday we'll get around to it, if we can scare up a
person to do it.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)