[comp.os.minix] Wild-card for DOSREAD and DOSWRITE?

saini@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (07/21/88)

I wanted to know whether there was a way to use (or simulate)
wild-card in DOSREAD and DOSWRITE.  It becomes a pain to copy all the
files individually to minix from DOS.

Iqbal

steve@basser.oz (Stephen Russell) (07/21/88)

In article <26500003@silver> saini@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I wanted to know whether there was a way to use (or simulate)
>wild-card in DOSREAD and DOSWRITE.  It becomes a pain to copy all the
>files individually to minix from DOS.

How about using dosdir to get a list of files, grep for the ones you want,
then use command substitution with the shell; ie

	dosread `dosdir ... | grep funky_stuff`

Of course, if the minix sh doesn't support command substitution, save the
output of the grep, use gres to convert it to a series of "dosread" commands,
then run that through the shell.

Lot's of fun - you could even make a shell script of it for future use.

pointer@hpccc.HP.COM (David Pointer) (07/22/88)

I have found that making a shell script helps.  But, yeah, wildcards
would be nice...

David Pointer
pointer@hpda

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (07/23/88)

In article <26500003@silver> saini@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>I wanted to know whether there was a way to use (or simulate)
>wild-card in DOSREAD and DOSWRITE.  It becomes a pain to copy all the
>files individually to minix from DOS.
>
>Iqbal

How 'bout something like:

	for n in `ls *`
	do
	doswrite 1 $n <$n
	done

This copies all the files in the current directory to DOS files on the
B: drive.

To copy from a DOS floppy into Minix, you need to somehow generate a
list of the filenames to copy.  Then the actual copy can be done with:

	for n in `cat copylist`
	do
	dosread 1 $n >$n
	done

Anybody else have a better method?

Paul
Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

woodman@suvax1.UUCP (David Woodman) (07/23/88)

This may be kind of dumb, but I use a shell script. Recipe follows -

dosdir 0 > out1

(remove leading and trailing stuff from out1, leaving only filenames)
(  I haven't written a script to do this but I should. )

tr "[A-Z]" "[a-z]" < out1 > out2
rm out1

for i in `cat out2`
do
  echo $i
  dosread -a 0 $i > $i
done

- And that does it. If your industrious enough, you may want to write a
  more robust (flexible) script and post it.  So far, I just keep
  re-making the wheel when I need it.

 David Woodman		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!woodman
 Seattle University	USNail:  P.O. Box 23202, Seattle WA 98102
 			Phone:	 (206) 223-9470

dws@cseg.uucp (David W. Summers) (07/25/88)

In article <26500003@silver>, saini@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> I wanted to know whether there was a way to use (or simulate)
> wild-card in DOSREAD and DOSWRITE.  It becomes a pain to copy all the
> files individually to minix from DOS.
>
> Iqbal

   One way that I did it was to just write a one line shell script which will
go through each of the desired files and read/write it to the DOS disk.  I
forget the syntax of the command right now, but it only took me 5 minutes or
so to look it up and create a one-liner.

                              - David Summers
                              dws@cseg.uucp
                              ..!romed!cseg!dws

roskos@csed-1.IDA.ORG (Eric Roskos) (07/28/88)

>I wanted to know whether there was a way to use (or simulate)
>wild-card in DOSREAD and DOSWRITE.  It becomes a pain to copy all the
>files individually to minix from DOS.

I do this by tarring everything onto a multivolume tar floppy.  I posted
sources & executables for this tar* in comp.binaries.ibm.pc about a month
ago.  You can transfer arbitrarily large directory trees between Dos and
Minix this way (it converts between CRLF and LF too).  Only works with 360K
floppy at present though since I don't have a 1.2M floppy (one is on order,
though) & so there was a bug in the 1.2M archive code for DOS.  See the
man page from the comp.binaries.ibm.pc posting for instructions.

AST's tar should work on the Minix side, though I haven't tried it with
that tar -- he used that one instead because it is MUCH more compact than
PD-tar (the sources).

*A port of John Gilmore's PD-Tar to DOS and Minix, with multivolume floppy
 support and CR/LF & filename conversion added.  The only real changes are
 for DOS (unless you add some nonstandard changes to Minix), so the current
 Minix tar should be compatible with that one on the Minix side.
--
Eric Roskos, IDA (csed-1!roskos or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.ARPA)

	"See how God with his lightning always smites the bigger
	 animals, and will not suffer them to wax insolent ..."
				--Artabanis, adv. to Xerxes