[comp.os.minix] Hello again

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/29/88)

I am back.  I have gone through my mail and the news briefly.  It will take
a long time to dig out from under the pile, and I will be in England for a
substantial part of September to boot.

Thanks to the many people who have made useful comments about 1.3b.  I will
try to sort all this stuff out as soon as I can, and will post diffs against
1.3b at that time.

The main open issue is tty.c (EGA, performance, bugs), which has been
discussed by Bruce Evans, Charles Hedrick, and others in the news.  Most of the
rest seems to be relatively straightforward bug fixes.

Nobody has said a word about amoeba/Ethernet etc.  I'm surprised.  The NONET
option will run on any machine, with or without a real Ethernet, to make it
easy to debug remote servers etc.  The user programs built in this mode will
run unmodified on a real network, not even requiring recompilation (i.e., NONET
and the real thing are binary compatible).  Has anyone experimented with
networking?

A few people have complained that the printer driver still doesn't work.  Does
it work on ANY machines?  Please post your experience until that subject has
been adequately covered.

I will repost sed.c.  The new shar uses it, and apparently lots of people don't
have it.

If anyone else (especially the beta test sites) has found any more bugs, please
mail or post them very soon.

Terrence Holm: please send me your exact path starting at something major, e.g.
uunet.  I received your snail mail, but there has to be a better way.
Everything I send you is rejected, even mail I sent you from California.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (08/30/88)

OK, I just caught the aforementioned article before asking the net if anyone
knew about a printer problem.  I'm using a Star-Gemini Proprinter (LQ), to
print invoices and am embarrassed by a certain no. of spelling mistakes
introduced by my printer (it was working fine under MS-DOS).  I have briefly
looked at the printer code (minix version 1.2), but can see nothing wrong...
It looks as though the driver is not seeing the "BUSY" soon enough.  I would
appreciate it if someone would keep me informed as to what's going on.  I
haven't seen any news before <1317@ast.cs.vu.nl>.  Basically, the printer
is just missing characters.  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with
this problem - I won't have to do *all* the work...
						- Der
--
ME:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan)	postmaster@sultra.UUCP
or:	{mips pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) (08/31/88)

In article <1317@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>Nobody has said a word about amoeba/Ethernet etc.  I'm surprised.

	Maybe that's because it *works*!   :-)

> Has anyone experimented with networking?

Yes.  We have 3 machines here with WD8003s. Amongst other things, I
made a new filesystem on the hard disk of one, put the networking
stuff onto its boot floppy, booted it, and said:

	rsh -e othermachine \( cd /usr \; pd-tar cf - . \) | pd-tar xvf -

and copied the *entire* minix source, .s files, and binaries across. Wow!
It sure beats floppies.

Now, how do I get Amoeba running on either a vanilla 4.3bsd Vax or on
Sun-3s (binary only)?
sane mailers: jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz |    Industrial democracy:
UUCP path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!jonathan |           One factory, one vode!

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/01/88)

In article <14172@comp.vuw.ac.nz> jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) writes:
>Now, how do I get Amoeba running on either a vanilla 4.3bsd Vax or on
>Sun-3s (binary only)?

We actually have been running the Amoeba stuff on our VAXes and Suns for
quite a while.  We are starting to think about distributions.  For people
with full sources to their system and a fair amount of local expertise
we could discuss it.  For binary-only users, it is trickier (we had to make
one small change in the Sun OS kernel to recognize Amoeba packets and
give them to the right guy).  We will ask SUN what we may and may not do.

More comments about experience with networking are welcome.  Please post them
for the greater good.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)