[comp.os.minix] Porting MINIX to new machines

cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) (09/09/88)

Geof Lane (University of Manchester) writes

> What is the situation regards porting MINIX to new machines? Where does one
> get the information required? Who's permissions have to be obtained? What
> kind of effort is involved? What are the minimum hardware requirements to
> implement MINIX? Does anybody know of any project to implement MINIX on the
> Acorn Archimedes machines?

I am in a similar situation. The intention is to implement a minimal Operating
System on a closely coupled multi-processor NS32000 based machine.

Does any one have experience in porting MINIX to this type of architecture.

Please either mail directly to me or post follow ups.

tks Andrew Cagney                       ACSnet: cagney@smokey.ua.oz (prefered)
    University of Adelaide                  or  cagney@chook.ua.oz
    Adelaide, South Australia

paradis@encore.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (09/11/88)

In article <389@augean.OZ> cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) writes:
>a closely coupled multi-processor NS32000 based machine.
>Does any one have experience in porting MINIX to this type of architecture.

Welll... whenever I'd have trouble debugging the Umax4.2 kernel, I'd
threaten to port MINIX to the Encore Multimax.  Fortunately, said threats
tended to get the kernel to behave itself and I've never had to carry it
out 8-)

--
Jim Paradis (paradis@encore.UUCP) 508-460-0500
Devout Secular Humanist and Worshipper of Bacchus in Vintage Years

root@amyerg.UUCP (Admin) (09/12/88)

 Was just wondering if there was a version of MINIX that would run on
 a 3b2/300? Would like to try another operating system (or two) on here
 and see what gives the best results.

Thanks,
Ewan Grantham

--
Ewan Grantham (601) 354-6454 ext. 452  Miss. Dept. of Corrections
{}!swbatl!amyerg!egranthm             (The Prison People)