[comp.os.minix] I *need* to find 1.3x, please!

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (09/13/88)

HELP!!!
This is the second time I've asked this, with no luck.  I *desperately* need
to upgrade from 1.2 (PH distribution) to 1.3b (or similar).  I want to bring
up the MODEM/serial line, and am twiddling my fingers waiting for a diff file
to fall on my lap.  I'm told (indirectly), that there are MINIX directories on
a lot of Internet machines (I'm on USENET).  I've looked around at the local
archives, and can find nothing.  At this stage, I'm beginning to pull my hair
out.  To Mr Tanenbaum; is the C compiler source available, and if so, how much
does it cost, and where do I send my firstborn???  Also, I'd like to know what
your stance is in terms of licensing.  I have bona-fide source (I paid money),
and am wondering is it in the public domain???  If not, how about the object
code??  I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful to be able to ship
a system with MINIX object code, as opposed to MESS-DOS.  Any comments???
Once again, could someone *please* mail me the diffs from 1.2 -> 1.3b???
I'd like to bring up the system under the new version this weekend.  Any help
would be sincerely appreciated.  Regards...
						- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/14/88)

In article <2334@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>HELP!!!
> To Mr Tanenbaum; is the C compiler source available, and if so, how much
>does it cost, and where do I send my firstborn???  Also, I'd like to know what
>your stance is in terms of licensing.  I have bona-fide source (I paid money),
>and am wondering is it in the public domain???  If not, how about the object
>code??

I have gone through this many times in this space, but for the benefit of
newcomers, here is the story once more.  MINIX is not public domain.  It is
copyrighted by Prentice-Hall.  If you want to license it for a commercial
product, you need to negotiate that with Jim Fegen of P-H, who is quite
willing to discuss any proposal that makes business sense.

You may make copies of the MINIX source and object code for bona-fide
education (e.g., copies for students taking a course on operating systems
at a school or university), and it is ok to make a couple of copies for
personal friends.  It is also ok to post improved versions of individual
programs to the net (preferably as cdif listings where that is shorter).
Other copying or further distribution, source or object is not permitted with
permission from P-H.

The C compiler is somewhat different as the Vrije Universiteit, where I work,
owns that.  The university has two dealers, UniPress in the U.S. and
Transmediair in Holland.  Their addresses and phone numbers are at the end
of the preface in the book.  No copying of the compiler is permitted at all.
All commercial projects should be referred to one of these companies.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (09/15/88)

In article <2334@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>HELP!!!
>This is the second time I've asked this, with no luck.  I *desperately* need
>to upgrade from 1.2 (PH distribution) to 1.3b (or similar).  I want to bring
>up the MODEM/serial line, and am twiddling my fingers waiting for a diff file
>to fall on my lap.  I'm told (indirectly), that there are MINIX directories on
>a lot of Internet machines (I'm on USENET).  I've looked around at the local
>archives, and can find nothing.  [...]

I'm posting this instead of mailing to Dermot because there still seem
to be a lot of people who think you have to be on the internet to get at
the archives.  Attached are instructions for accessing Vince Browman's
MINIX archives on bugs.nosc.mil via uucp mail.  The last time I looked,
the file SUBJECTS contained a listing of the archive contents, so get
that first and then figure out what you need.

Have fun!
Paul
pallen@boeing.com
...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!pallen

Everything available to anonymous FTP in directory pub/Minix can be obtained by
sending a mailed request to minix-server@bugs.nosc.mil or nosc!minix-server .
Include in the message, either among the header fields or the body, a line like:

and after that a line or lines naming desired files e.g.:

send compatibility
send SUBJECTS
send 1180@botter.cs.vu.nl

to get an automatic mailed reply.  Notice file names are case sensitive.
<your mail address> should look something like one of these examples:

you@stolaf.uucp
sdcsvax!ihnp4!mtgzz!guru
cs.vu.nl!giant@uunet.uu.net
person%utoronto.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
user%ulowell.csnet@relay.cs.net
honcho%durham.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa    .

Email is not free.  Abuse of the system will cause bad karma.
Contents may have settled during shipment.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 553 1641    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula