From pyramid!uunet!MAILER-DAEMON Mon Sep 12 15:26:51 1988
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88 06:40:28 EDT
From: MAILER-DAEMON@uunet.UUCP (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: pyramid!fauern!immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de!rtregn

bad system name: king
uux failed. code 68
550 king.UUCP!motti... Host unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88 10:58:59 +0200
From: Robert Regn <fauern!immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de!rtregn@uunet.UU.NET>
To: motti@ocsmd.uu.NET
Subject: Re: New commer with too many questions

Hello            Motti

> 1. How can I install it on my hard-disk
Runs minix on the compaq 386 ? I believe, no.
The procedure for the installation on the hard-disk is described in chapter
4 of  the user guide (<859@ast.cs.vu.nl>) and in the subsequent own text:

How to set up a Minix partition on a hard disk

Conditions:
	boot- root- and usr-floppy
	A fdisk which can make a 2nd Partition (Xenix, Minix, Dos 3.3 ?)
Procedure:
	- make space on the disk
		(e. g. delete partition and create it smaller)
	- boot Minix
	- determine partition number
	  rule: partition with lowest cylindernumber is hd1 ...
	  for safety you can examine all partitions with
		od -c hd<n>
	- determine size of Minix part. (logged in as root) :
		cd /dev
		dd if=hd<n> of=null bs=1k
		where n is the part. number for Minix
	- make a Filesystem :
		mkfs /dev/hd<n> <records reported by dd>
	- mount this Filesystem:
		/etc/mount /dev/hd<n> /user
	- copy the usr-floppy onto disk:
		cpdir /usr/bin /user/bin
		cpdir /usr/lib /user/lib
		cpdir /usr/include /user/include
		cpdir /usr/ast /user/ast
	- sync and umount hard disk
	- edit /etc/rc to have the hard disk mounted when the system is booted.
		/etc/mount /dev/hd<n> /usr
	- copy rc back to the root-floppy

See also: doc/READ_ME		2. HARD DISK

But first, you have to test if the disk works under minix. Boot from floppy
log in as root and type:

	cd /dev
	dd if=hd0 of=null bs=7k count=1000
if no error occurs, OK

> 2. How can I get the updates for version 1.3x
from a minix news-server or in late fall from PH (not free).
for the first possibility, see posting <1192@cod.NOSC.MIL>:

> [...]
| Subject: Minix archives on bugs.nosc.mil
| From: broman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Vincent P. Broman)
| Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
| Date: 23 Aug 88 16:12:52 GMT
|
| Here is a repost of the Minix archive description, to accompany my recent
| posting of the Minix compatibility list as reformatted by tamura@hlerul5.
|

| Bugs.Nosc.Mil archives comp.os.minix news articles of lasting interest
| and other Minix material, such as a list of machines reported to be
| able to run Minix.  Material of widespread interest includes diffs for
| updating v1.1 to v1.2 and preliminary fixes headed for v1.3, code for
| a serial port driver, diffs for cross compilation under MS-C and
| Turbo-C, the new asld with split I&D, the editor Elle v4.1, and
| recently a port of C-Kermit.
|
| This material is available by anonymous FTP (during non-business hours)
| on bugs.nosc.mil in directory pub/Minix .  The file SUBJECTS contains a list
| of Subject lines serving as a kind of index.  The file names are mostly just
| the Message-Id of a news article.
|
| Several ways to get these kinds of goodies, in order:
|
| 1.  Look, or ask someone you know to look, for articles still available
| on the machine where you read news, or on a neighbor.
| 2.  Ask the person who posted the material to mail it to you.
| 3.  Get access to a machine on the ArpaNet (or talk to an acquaintance who
| has access) and FTP to louie.udel.edu or bugs.nosc.mil .
| 4.  To get smaller selections from the bugs.nosc.mil archive by Email,
| see the instructions below.
| 5.  To get very large amounts of material from archives, talk to someone
| in charge of it, e.g. me, about mailing a tape.  Surface-mailing of tapes
| is cheap.  Voluminous Email is expensive, though not as expensive as
| posting news.
|
| Everything available to anonymous FTP in directory pub/Minix can be obtained by
| sending a mailed request to minix-server@bugs.nosc.mil or nosc!minix-server .
| Include in the message, either among the header fields or the body, a line like:

| and after that a line or lines naming desired files e.g.:
|
| send compatibility
| send SUBJECTS
| send 1180@botter.cs.vu.nl
|
| to get an automatic mailed reply.  Notice file names are case sensitive.
| <your mail address> should look something like one of these examples:
|
| you@stolaf.uucp
| sdcsvax!ihnp4!mtgzz!guru
| cs.vu.nl!giant@uunet.uu.net
| person%utoronto.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
| user%ulowell.csnet@relay.cs.net
| honcho%durham.mailnet@mit-multics.arpa    .
|
| Email is not free.  Abuse of the system will cause bad karma.
| Contents may have settled during shipment.
|

| Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
| Phone: +1 619 553 1641    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman
|

> 3. Can I run it under MesS-DOS ? I read here and there that a port
>    was done ? I need something for Microsoft C.
You can run msdos  OR  minix. You can compile minix under msdos, but this
is last choice. Compile under minix

> 4. How should I run Minix on my Sun (SunOS version 3.5).
I have no experience. See on the tape the files pc_simulator/READ_ME and
vax/READ_ME

At last, a own pleasure:
> I got from P-H version 1.2 of the PC 640Kb version and the Unix
> tape. My problems: 1. I have 8MHz AT and 16Mhz Compaq 386, how can I
I am looking for the minix c-compiler Ver 1.2. I don't know if he is
included in the version 1.2 of minix. Please look at the lengths of
his paths. If they are NOT as here listed (1.1), then I would like to get
a uuencoded copy mailed:
      70560 cem
      20708 cpp
      25816 opt