[net.news.group] Against the fall of net.internat

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg Davidson) (10/20/85)

(If you read net.internat and are not in Europe, please send me a note;
I'll do a census and inform the net - so PLEASE, EVERYBODY, RESPOND!)

I was shocked to read in net.internat that it was to be closed to US
readership without a discussion in the group because (1) most of the
submitted articles originate in Europe and (2) it's creation did not
follow the proper creation rules.  I think that this is an important
group, and should by its subject matter receive a worldwide distribution.

First, net.internat is not just an European group, as the recent
vigorous discussion of how to accommodate Chinese characters exhibits.
I have also noticed many postings by US authors (though its the
readers' locations that count), so they should not be ignored, even if
outnumbered.  I have been reading it, and I'm sure many other people
outside of Europe have been also.

As for the business of closing groups that are not properly formed,
net.internat followed a mandate from the last EUUG conference in
Copenhagen.  Need I remind US readers that the EUUG is the sister
organization to Usenix in the States?  This is hardly a thoughtless,
irresponsible basis from which to create a newsgroup.  If we could
afford the time to debate newsgroup creations at UNIX conferences,
it would be very nice - preferable to using net.news.group.

The creator of net.internat was not familiar with the protocol for
approving newsgroups with US distribution, but this is understandable
since he is not from the States.  I'm sure the smaller European USENET
community have their own protocol for these things, or will soon - it
would behoove us to be more tolerant of this kind of error.

Please allow net.internat to continue while we have a chance to ask how
many people are reading it.  If the name is objectionable, that can be
easily remedied.

_Greg Davidson		decvax!sdcsvax!davidson
			ucbvax!sdcsvax!davidson
			davidson@ucsd.arpa

P.S.  If you read net.internat & are not in Europe, don't forget to
send me a note!

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (10/21/85)

> I was shocked to read in net.internat that it was to be closed to US
> readership without a discussion in the group because (1) most of the
> submitted articles originate in Europe and (2) it's creation did not
> follow the proper creation rules.  I think that this is an important
> group, and should by its subject matter receive a worldwide distribution.

I agree.  If the U.S. is excluded, it will be like a preacher whose
Sunday morning sermons are on the importance of church attendance; those
who most need to hear the message aren't there to hear it!

I have worked for two different U.S. companies which supposedly produce
international products; both companies essentially developed two
distinct product lines, one for the domestic (i.e., U.S.) market, and
one for the international (mostly European) market.  This happened
because most American developers make Anglo-centric (if that's not
a word, I just coined it) assumptions, without even realizing it.

Gary Samuelson
ittatc!bunker!garys

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (10/24/85)

> I was shocked to read in net.internat that it was to be closed to US
> readership without a discussion in the group because (1) most of the
> submitted articles originate in Europe and (2) it's creation did not
> follow the proper creation rules.

   As far as *I* have heard, the only reason it is being removed is 2). No
one said ANYTHING about where articles originate or what they contain.

> I have been reading it, and I'm sure many other people
> outside of Europe have been also.

  That does not change the fact that the proper procedure for newsgroup
creation was not followed. If we allow this group to go on WITHOUT going
through the proper procedure, then we will subject ourselves to endless
future debates on the worthiness of improperly-created groups, which is what
the rules were devised to PREVENT in the first place. Worthiness of the topic
is not mentioned ANYWHERE; the sole criteria for justifying a group is
DEMONSTRATED NEED based on volume of postings in related groups.

> As for the business of closing groups that are not properly formed,
> net.internat followed a mandate from the last EUUG conference in Copenhagen.
> Need I remind US readers that the EUUG is the sister
> organization to Usenix in the States?

  Big deal. USENIX meetings do not mandate the creation of new groups either.

> This is hardly a thoughtless,
> irresponsible basis from which to create a newsgroup.  If we could
> afford the time to debate newsgroup creations at UNIX conferences,
> it would be very nice - preferable to using net.news.group.

  I completely disagree. Not all of us get to attend UNIX conferences.

> The creator of net.internat was not familiar with the protocol for
> approving newsgroups with US distribution, but this is understandable
> since he is not from the States.

  That makes no difference. The group STILL was not created through the
proper procedure.

> I'm sure the smaller European USENET
> community have their own protocol for these things, or will soon - it
> would behoove us to be more tolerant of this kind of error.

  No, it wouldn't, or the next thing you know, everyone will be creating
groups for their own pet topics. This is what the rules were designed
to PREVENT.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (10/26/85)

In article <1818@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:

>... Worthiness of the topic
>is not mentioned ANYWHERE; the sole criteria for justifying a group is
>DEMONSTRATED NEED based on volume of postings in related groups.

Not to pick on Greg, because this sentiment seems to be that of Spaf
and some other admins, but this rule can be used to show that net.bizarre
should be a newsgroup and net.internat should not.  I'm certain all the
'bizarrenix' can rapidly deluge other groups and vote thousands
of times in net.news for their pet group.  Since worthiness is not
a criterion, they should be allowed to recreate net.bizarre because
they've demonstrated a need and we all know they can generate the
volume.  It's 99 and 44/100% trash, though, and I don't want to
have to carry it.

Net.internat, on the other hand, has a much smaller community of writers
and readers.  I know, I know, there was a lot of repitition in the first
few postings, but at least some *worthy* issues were addressed, and the
signal to noise ratio is *much* higher than net.bizarre.  I don't see
how these folks could ever justify a newsgroup based on volume, but they
obviously have a unifying theme, and I think the worthiness and general
high content justify the group.

By the way, newsgroup creation wasn't always so rigidly constrained.
I know; I was in on the creation of both net.bicycle and net.garden,
two newsgroups that will never hit the top 25 (thank God) but which
are nicely meeting the needs of well-defined and widely dispersed
groups of users.

Were I to propose rules, I'd want to see more emphasis put on the theme
of the group (so you could tell what it's about), with some reasonable
show of netwide interest.  This, of course, does not address the *real*
problem of the volume of trash, with bad articles driving out good in
variant of Gresham's Law.  But then the current rules do not adequately
address this problem either.  In fact, I believe that "trash
compaction" is the real reason behind the removal of net.bizarre (a
move I support), but it had to be justified in terms of our rules, and
net.internat was an innocent victim of the purge.  So let's concentrate
on mechanisms to eliminate trash and less on developing newsgroup
creation rules with constraints that would test the wisdom of Solomon
and the patience of Job.
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl