[comp.os.minix] Minix on harddisk

HANIA%HENUT5.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (09/24/88)

> Jonathan C. Broome <jonathan@ISM780C.ISC.COM> writes:
>
> I have tried larger partitions, still 1K zone size, and found that fsck & fs
> were unhappy with > 27500 blocks per filesystem.  One of these days I'll
> investigate -- with a partition of 80 MB allocated, I'd like to be able to use
> more of it!  I'm also working on 'soft partitioning', to allow using only one
> of the four (precious few) "hard" partitions that the BIOS knows about,
> splitting it into (currently) up to 8 filesystems.  It will also support bad
> sector remapping.

When working on soft partioning, I suggest you take a look at way in
which MS-DOS 3.3 and OS/2 1.0 implement their so-called "extended
partition".
This extended partion can be larger than the usual DOS limits, but
under DOS 3.30 and OS/2 1.0 it has to be divided into logical drives
to which the normal size limit applies.
The administration of the boundaries of these logical drives is kept in the
very first sector of the extended partition. I believe it has the
same lay-out as track 0, side 0, sector 0.
Using this scheme to implement more filesystems on one harddisk,
you will be compatible with DOS and OS/2, which will make it relatively
easy to access DOS partitions.

Simon Hania - HANIA@HENUT5.BITNET