[comp.os.minix] Prentice Hall listening?

AB084%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (09/01/88)

I would like to know whether we could order minix floppies/books directly
from PH (instead of going to our computer bookstore) and if so, what the
conditions would be.

Michael Eibl, Inst. f. Theor. Physics, Universitaet zu Koeln
              Cologne, West Germany

sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (09/03/88)

In article <3935@louie.udel.EDU>, AB084%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> I would like to know whether we could order minix floppies/books directly
> from PH (instead of going to our computer bookstore) and if so, what the
> conditions would be.
>
> Michael Eibl, Inst. f. Theor. Physics, Universitaet zu Koeln
>               Cologne, West Germany

Conditions: You send them money, they send you a book, floppies, whatever
you ordered.

You can interact with them via U.S. Mail, and U.S. Dollers, or via the
Telephone: 1-800-223-1360.  I don't know what our country prefix is.

"Only true americans know their Country Telephone Prefix..."

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (09/03/88)

In article <5398@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
> In article <3935@louie.udel.EDU>, AB084%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> > I would like to know whether we could order minix floppies/books directly
> > from PH (instead of going to our computer bookstore) and if so, what the
> > conditions would be.
> >
> > Michael Eibl, Inst. f. Theor. Physics, Universitaet zu Koeln
> >               Cologne, West Germany
>
> Conditions: You send them money, they send you a book, floppies, whatever
> you ordered.
>
> You can interact with them via U.S. Mail, and U.S. Dollers, or via the
> Telephone: 1-800-223-1360.  I don't know what our country prefix is.

If that is the same telephone number posted last year -- if you did not
get the number from your very own P-H representative, that is if you do
not fall into their clasification of preferred customers whatever that is
(a school system, university, or perhaps book store?) they will not even
give you time of day (and the telephone number I got was not even a working
number when I called it 30 minutes later!).

Mail seems to be all that works for us commoners, and it not very well.

BTW, if this sounds like a flame aimed at P-H, IT IS and a better company
to go bankrupt I'll never see!

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (09/04/88)

In article <5399@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
>In article <5398@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
>> In article <3935@louie.udel.EDU>, AB084%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>> > I would like to know whether we could order minix floppies/books directly
>> > from PH (instead of going to our computer bookstore) and if so, what the
>> > conditions would be.
>> >
>> > Michael Eibl, Inst. f. Theor. Physics, Universitaet zu Koeln
>> >               Cologne, West Germany
>>
>> Conditions: You send them money, they send you a book, floppies, whatever
>> you ordered.
>>
>> You can interact with them via U.S. Mail, and U.S. Dollers, or via the
>> Telephone: 1-800-223-1360.  I don't know what our country prefix is.
>
>If that is the same telephone number posted last year they will not even
>give you time of day (and the telephone number I got was not even a working
>number when I called it 30 minutes later!).

And if you are outside the US & Canada, area code (800) numbers cannot be
dialled, anyway.

Besides, I believe that distribution agreements with overseas book wholesalers
prohibit P-H from selling directly to customers in Western Europe.

A better suggestion would be to order the book via an outfit like the
C Users Group, Box 97, McPherson, KS 67460, USA; Phone +1 (316) 241-1065
(no, this is not "One Plus" dialling; the notation +1 means that "1"
is the country code for the US, and has to be preceded by local long-distance
access codes - I believe in West Germany that is "00", so Michael would dial
001-316-etc.).

They list the MINIX book in their catalog for $44.95, and they do ship overseas.
Their catalog says, "add 45% for overseas airmail, or 15% for overseas surface
shipping".

I don't know if they handle the MINIX software -- ask them when you order the
book. If you're not in too much of a hurry, or can afford the call, check with
them if they have the more recent "MINIX Users Manual" -- a separately
published trade paperback which contains only the MINIX-specific chapters from
the original book, without all of the OS theory textbook stuff. That retails
here for ca. $25-30.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/04/88)

In article <5398@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
>You can interact with them [P-H] via U.S. Mail, and U.S. Dollers, or via the
>Telephone: 1-800-223-1360.  I don't know what our country prefix is.

If life were only that simple.  I can call any phone number in the world from
my phone, except U.S. 800 numbers.  Attempts to do so are intercepted by a
polite but firm machine-generated answer saying basically "No way."  Thank
heavens that the U.S. phone system is so screwy that most companies have an
800 number for national sales, but a regular number for in-state, which also
works abroad.  I should talk, however. The Dutch PTT in its wisdom introduced
the 06 number, which is a merge of the 800 and 900 concepts.  Either it is free
or it costs a fortune, and there is no way to tell which.  For the record, the
U.S. does not have a country code of its own.  It shares the code 1 with Canada.
Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/07/88)

For what it's worth, I clipped the coupon out of my copy of The Book,
sent it in, attached a piece of paper with my address on it since the
coupon has NO space for such irrelevant information.

SOMEHOW they figured out that I'm affiliated with the IU Computer
Science Dept. ( *I* didn't tell them!! ) and sent the disks to the
grad student office!  (I'm a grad student here.)

Big Brother Lives!  Yow!

Bob Montante, resident gadfly, dilettante, and paranoiaque nouvelle
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- Wanda

In article <1339@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>... For the record, the U.S.
>does not have a country code of its own.  It shares the code 1 with Canada.

Close but not quite.  Country code "1" is for the "Unified Calling Area", or
some such blurf, which covers the US, Canada, Mexico [I think], and a fair
number of other little odds and ends in places like the Caribbean.  Think
of it as the code for North America.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

walterc@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (10/04/88)

in getting it to me, even agreeing to swap floppies for tape when I was unable
to boot on a Vectra.  Unfortunately, the tape was 6250 bpi, which was hard to
read on our 1600 drives.