[comp.os.minix] kermit for minix

JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH) (04/21/88)

  I'm sure this subject has arisen (and been answered) before but I have
neither the time nor network resources to search through the logs so please
excuse the repeat:

  Is there a working version of C-Kermit, Unix flavor, for Minix ? If so
I would very much appreciate someone sending/directing me to the binaries
(uuencoded please, this is a Cyber site with those weird word lengths and
character sets). Alternately, instructions for generating from the statndard
sources from Columbia (source changes, make file, etc). If Kermit hasn't
been ported successfully yet, does anyone have some other comm protocol
program in PD they could send/point me to ?

 Thanks

  Jeff Sicherman
  jajz801@calstate.bitnet (or address in header)

BECKER%HUMBER.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (Bruce Becker) (04/21/88)

>  I'm sure this is redundant (many times over?) but I don't have the time
>and network resources to search the archives for it:
>  Is there a working version of Unix (C-Kermit) for the IBM-PC implementation
>and if so, would somebody be so very kind as to ship me a generated (binary)
>version of it. MUST be encoded somehow, I'm here at a Cyber CDC machine with
>those wierd word lengths. Thanks for any help or direction.
>
>  Jeff Sicherman
>  Jajz801@calstate.bitnet (or above address)

Get it from KERMSRV@CUVMA - this is the official bitnet site of kermit,
i.e. Columbia U.   "GET * FILELIST" will get the whole listing, and the
AAA files will guide you to a selection of kermits for every need...

Cheers, B. Becker      Humber College     Etobicoke, Ont.

JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH) (04/22/88)

Date:     Thu, 21 Apr 88 08:15:38 GMT
Sender:   MINIX-L@NDSUVM1
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was mmdf@UDEL.EDU
From:     BECKER%HUMBER.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu
Subject:  Re: Kermit for MINIX
Comments: To: info-minix@UDEL.EDU
To:       JAJZ801@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

>  I'm sure this is redundant (many times over?) but I don't have the time
>and network resources to search the archives for it:
>  Is there a working version of Unix (C-Kermit) for the IBM-PC implementation
>and if so, would somebody be so very kind as to ship me a generated (binary)
>version of it. MUST be encoded somehow, I'm here at a Cyber CDC machine with
>those wierd word lengths. Thanks for any help or direction.
>
>  Jeff Sicherman
>  Jajz801@calstate.bitnet (or above address)

Get it from KERMSRV@CUVMA - this is the official bitnet site of kermit,
i.e. Columbia U.   "GET * FILELIST" will get the whole listing, and the
AAA files will guide you to a selection of kermits for every need...

Cheers, B. Becker      Humber College     Etobicoke, Ont.

===== Reply from Jeffrey Sicherman <JAJZ801> =========================

  I should have mentioned that I have checked the columbia archives and they
do not specifically mention MINIX at all. Since I'm obtaining this for some
one else and am not MINIX-familiar and he is not Kermit-oriented, I wish to
avoid the customization/porting effort ourselves. Thanks for your reply.

  Jeff Sicherman

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (10/13/88)

Now that most of you have a version of minix that can deal with the
serial port, I thought you might like something that will let you use
it.  The next two postings will be kermit, run through uuencode on
minix and split into two because of file size limits on various
system.  You should be able to put them together and run through
uudecode to get back an executable for kermit.

For source, get the current kermit from Columbia or anywhere else that
kermit sources are archived, and apply the diffs that I posted in late
August.  (It's not practical for me to keep the kermit sources on this
machine, but I do have the diffs for anyone who missed them.)

Note that this is a slightly lobotomized kermit.  Because of bugs in
cc and limitations in asld, I had to remove the help command, the
script facility, and the automatic dial support.  ? and ESC still
work, so there's still reasonable builtin help.  This is based on the
normal Unix version of kermit, in a configuration very similar to v7.
The only feature in v7 that I couldn't make work is the ability to see
whether there are input characters waiting.  This means that you won't
be able to ask for status while a file transfer is happening (though
this isn't critical, because kermit prints a dot every so often and
other special characters whenever there is an error or timeout).

Simple instructions on use:

Run kermit, and then type
   set line /dev/tty1
   set speed 2400
   connect
(It's more convenient if you put these commands in .kermrc in your
home directory, so that they get done automatically whenever you
run kermit.)  This will connect you to the modem or whatever on
the serial port.  Now log into the other system.

When you want to transfer files, run kermit on the other system.
To it, type
   server
This puts its kermit into a sort of "slave mode" where it expects
commands from the kermit running on your Minix system.  Now come back
to the command level on Minix kermit, by typing the escape character
followed "c".  (kermit will tell you the current escape character when
you do the connect command.)  At this point you can issue various
commands.  Your kermit will coordinate things with kermit on the other
machine so that you only have to type commands at one end.  Common
commands are
   get filename
   put filename
   remote dir
Filenames can include wildcards.  By default, kermit works in a
system-independent, text mode.  (In effect it assumes that the
whole world is MS-DOS and converts end of line and file names
accordingly.)  To send binary files, you will want to type
   set file type bin
on both ends before starting any transfers.  This disables
CR LF to newline conversion.  If both of your systems are some
flavor of Unix, you might as well put this in .kermrc on both
ends and run in binary mode all the time.  Also, if both systems
are Unix I recommend
    set file name lit
on both ends.  This causes it to keep file names unchanged,
rather than mapping to legal MS-DOS names.

Here's the .kermrc I use on minix:

   set file type bin
   set file name lit
   set rec pack 1000
   set esc 29
   set prompt Minix Kermit>
   connect

set rec pack 1000 says to request 1000-byte packets when receiving
files.  (This will be ignored if the other end doesn't support
long packets.)  This makes line utilization more efficient than
the default 100-byte packets, though it isn't critical.  (You may
not want to do this unless you have installed my changes to
increase buffer sizes, though on a 10MHz AT, 1000-byte packets
work even without the patch as long as you are using a disk rather
than a floppy.)

set esc 29 sets the escape character to ^].  No particular reason.
I just like that characters.

I change the prompt since the other end is normally a Unix system.
If I don't change one or the other, both ends will prompt
   C Kermit>
which is sort of confusing.

Here's the .kermrc I use on our Unix hosts:

   set rec packet 1000
   set fil name lit
   set fil type bin
   server