[comp.os.minix] A bug in 'ls'

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (10/11/88)

I found a bug in the 1.2 version of 'ls'.  I fixed it, and refrained from
posting the diffs, because I thought it might have been fixed in 1.3x.
It hasn't.  Here is the bug report.  The diffs will follow, as soon as I
get them off my home machine...

BUG:
	'ls' displays files beginning with '.'
	If I have a directory with the following files;
		.
		..
		.newsrc
		test
	When I type 'ls -l' I get;
		.newsrc
		test
	When I type 'ls -al' I get everything.  As I understand it, this is
	incorrect.  The .newsrc file should only be displayed if I use the
	-a option.  Does anyone have a comment on this?  I do not have first-
	hand experience on V7, but I *do* know this is wrong on BSD and SysV.
							- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

In article <2569@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>I found a bug in the 1.2 version of 'ls'...
>	'ls' displays files beginning with '.'   ...
>	... As I understand it, this is
>	incorrect.  [. files] should only be displayed if I use the
>	-a option.  Does anyone have a comment on this?

Alas, you lose:  V7 ls displayed everything except . and .. by default.
V6 ls didn't, but V7 ls did.  Many people considered this change a mistake
and fixed their V7 ls to match V6 behavior, mind you...
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu