[comp.os.minix] Epilogue to recent orgy of postings

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/06/88)

I have now posted all the important files that Johan said were missing or
botched.  I have left out some minor things like Read_me's and run files
that aren't so important.  Hopefully there is now enough information in the
archives that everyone can upgrade to 1.3 from posted stuff.

Has anyone else tried compiling bootblok.s and had trouble executing the
resulting system?  If something is really wrong there, I had better do
something about it, but if only one person had trouble, I'll write it off to
his having an incompatible piece of hardware.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) (10/15/88)

In article <1483@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>I have now posted all the important files that Johan said were missing or
>botched.

Three gripes:
    Neither the sizes nor the crc of the recently posted compress.c, ed.c,
    and sed.c posted match those given in Dr. Tanenbaum's posting ``Checksums
    and sizes of complete 1.3 distribution''.   Which are the *real* 1.3
    sources?

    amoeba/kernel/dp8390stat.h arrived here corrupt; it's smaller than
    either the shar file or your posting say it should be.  Exactly the
    same thing happeded to the 1.3b posting; the two files are identical.
    (vol.c arrived here corrupt too, but I'm ignoring that since I already
     have one that matches the definitive CRC listing.)  Is this just
    happening to me, or would a uuencoded version of dp8390stat.h be
    useful to others?

   The patch (relative to 1.2) for lib/regexp.c seems to be a retrograde
   step, when compared to an "ordinary" 1.3c lib/regexp.c (ie, one whose
   CRC matches that in the prelimilary CRC listing posted with the CRC
   program).   Changing "<stdio.h>" to "../stdio.h" can't be right, can it?

And one questions:
   Like Vincent Broman, I'm having problems with fsck.  I think it's
   because the 1.2 fsck.c I'm starting with is botched.  Sum and crc of
   it are:
	% sum fsck.c
	19353    23 fsck.c
	% crc fsck.c
	00735  46061 fsck.c
   Could someone please confirm that these are wrong?

sane mailers: jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz |    Industrial democracy:
UUCP path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!jonathan |           One factory, one vote!

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/18/88)

In article <14301@comp.vuw.ac.nz> jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) writes:
>    Which are the *real* 1.3 sources?
Here are the crc's:
31356  38532 compress.c
07544  42036 ed.c
30068  45809 sed.c

>    amoeba/kernel/dp8390stat.h arrived here corrupt;
>    (vol.c arrived here corrupt too,
For reasons I don't understand, dp8390stat.h contains CTRL-M on all the
lines.  This is the problem.  Below is the uuencoded file. The problem with
vol.c is that on line 58, there is a CTRL-G just before the "P" of please.
The net stripped this.

>   The patch (relative to 1.2) for lib/regexp.c seems to be a retrograde
>   step, when compared to an "ordinary" 1.3c lib/regexp.c (ie, one whose
>   CRC matches that in the prelimilary CRC listing posted with the CRC
>   program).   Changing "<stdio.h>" to "../stdio.h" can't be right, can it?
No.  In my current version, it is <stdio.h>

>   Like Vincent Broman, I'm having problems with fsck.
I just posted the complete fsck.  Apparently there was something wrong.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

------------------------------- uuencoded dp8390stat.h --------------------
begin 644 dp8390stat.h
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M"61S7V-A<FQO<W0["2\J($-A<G)I97(@<V5N<V4@;&]S=" J+PT*"6QO;F<)