[comp.os.minix] MINIX on a PS/2

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/14/88)

In article <4848@louie.udel.EDU> XRBEO%VPFVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bruce O'Neel) writes:
>I have a PS/2 Model 25 with 1 720k disk and 512k memory.
>Try not to laugh too hard :-).  Will minix work on a system this small?  Will
>it do anything usefull?  Thanks!

Thanks for posting the question.  Quite a few people want to add so many
features to MINIX that it will require a 386 with a couple of megabytes and
a hard disk.  I am trying to keep it usable on minimum systems such as yours.

MINIX 1.2 will not run on any PS/2 because IBM in its infinite wisdom decided
to change the way keyboard interrupts are acknowledged, as well as the
floppy disk timing and a number of other things like that.  MINIX 1.3 has
been tested on a PS/2 model 30, and appears to work.  I expect that it should
work on a Model 25.  Much of the MINIX development was done on a system with
640K and two 360K floppies.  This is not much bigger than your system, but
MINIX was smaller in those days (see above).  My guess is that it should
work and be reasonably useful with that configuration, but it will not
be as convenient and fast as a big 386.  But you didn't expect that.

A more interesting question is:  does 1.3 run on PS/2 models with a 286 or
386?  I don't know.  Is there anyone who has one and who wants to be a guinea
pig?  If so, please let me know.  If it does work on the Model 50, etc.,
I could take the 1.3 distribution for the PC and have P-H make it available
for the PS/2.  But I'd want to make sure it worked first, and I don't have a
PS/2 here to test it.

Andy Tanenbaum

XRBEO%VPFVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bruce O'Neel) (10/18/88)

Where would I get MINIX on the 3.5" disks for a ps/2 model 25?  In other
words, how do I order it?   Thanks!

bruce

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/19/88)

In article <4927@louie.udel.EDU> XRBEO%VPFVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bruce O'Neel) writes:
>Where would I get MINIX on the 3.5" disks for a ps/2 model 25?  In other
>words, how do I order it?   Thanks!

You can't order it (yet).  I haven't sent it to P-H.  Nevertheless, the
MINIX 1.3 distribution has been tested on the PS/2 model 30, and works, so
I suspect that it will work on the model 25.  If you build the system by
applying the patches posted to 1.2, it should work.  It dynamically checks
to see if it is running on a PS/2, and if so, behaves accordingly.

So far nobody has reported trying it on Models 50 or higher (or lower,
for that matter).  If anyone has a PS/2 around, I'd be very interested in
finding out what happens when you try 1.3 on it.

Andy Tanenbaum