[comp.os.minix] Problems with minix stuff from BITNET

KYY%NIHCUDEC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (M. DOBSON) (10/20/88)

In a previous message I mentioned a minor problem I am having upgrading to
1.3.  That is nothing compared to the major problems BITNET is causing for
me.  It seems virtually everything but uuencoded stuff is munged in ways
ranging from annoying to disasterous.  The problems begin right with the
shell archives.  BITNET just doesn't seem to be able to handle the control
characters that are in the sed/gres command strings, somehow a ctrl-E is
being inserted.  If unchanged, when this archive is fed to sh, all the leading
X's are left on the lines :-(  The only way I've been able to handle this
is to pass the files through edlin under DOS and to a global replace of
the ctrl-EX string with X.  Mined won't read the files because they contain
non-ascii characters.  Once I've unshar'd them, I still have problems because
all the tabs are converted to spaces.  This causes the character counts to
be wrong so I never know if the files have been damaged in other ways.

This conversion of tabs to spaces also causes even the latest verion of
patch to fail regularly  when more than one tab on the origianl line is
involved.  It seems patch just can't deal with that large of a white
space difference forcing me to hand apply many of the cdifs.  This white
space problem also means I will never be able to tell if my patched files
match ast's since the sizes and crcs are all going to be off.

Any suggestions for dealing with this (other than getting on uesnet :-))
would be appreciated.

        Mike Dobson (kyy@nihcudec.BITNET)

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (10/20/88)

In article <4951@louie.udel.EDU> KYY%NIHCUDEC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (M.
DOBSON) writes:

> [Wonderful Bitnet horror story deleted]

Bitnet sure has a reputation.  If you're not doing something IBMish on
there, it's an up-hill battle.  I've always had major problems with sources
sent over Bitnet have always been a problem for me.  There is no coherent
translation between ASCII and EBCDIC, nor is there apparently any coherency
within the EBCDIC world itself!

Back when the 1.1-1.2 stuff was released, I convinced our VM system
programmer here at NDSU to give me some space on his LISTSERV so I could
make Minix sources available there for archival purposes.  One thing I have
tried to do with that archive is make all the sources usable by people on
bitnet; for example, the tabs are NOT expanded and will hopefully get to you
that way.  I suggest getting the updates from here and see if they work out
better for you (info on this server is in the Minix Info Sheet).  I wouldn't
mind hearing from a few people about how this is actually working out.

I don't know where your ^E's came from, but you can probably solve your
patch spaces problem by running patch with the "-l" option (maybe you
are; it wasn't clear to me).

>Any suggestions for dealing with this (other than getting on uesnet :-))
>would be appreciated.

Get on Usenet :-) Or, more generally, get on a Non-Bitnet machine (the
internet would work fine).  There are a lot of public-access Unix systems
around which will let you on for little or no charge (aside from calling
into them).  If you consider your time worth money, it might be cheaper to
wait and get the upgrade package from Prentice-Hall whenever it comes out.

To steal a line from John Gilmore,  Good Luck, and may the source be with you!
--
Glen Overby
ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/21/88)

In article <4951@louie.udel.EDU> KYY%NIHCUDEC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (M. DOBSON) writes:
>In a previous message I mentioned a minor problem I am having upgrading to
>1.3.  That is nothing compared to the major problems BITNET is causing for
>me.

I can assure you, you're not alone.  Even I have great difficulty with
BITNET, and I don't even use it.  My problem is that lots of people are
in your situation and they are constantly asking for help.

The only thing I can think of offhand, is maybe somebody, probably a BITNET
user, could write a program that combined the functions of compress and
uuencode in one simple, easy to use program.  If it were possible to
run a file through a simple filter and get a resulting file that was smaller
than the original and used only characters that BITNET accepts, this might
be acceptable, although there is very much the issue of how much
nuisance USENET people are willing to put up with for the benefit of BITNET
people.  If this filter reduced text size, by first doing some sort of
compression, we could save some bandwidth, which saves everyone money.
I suspect that the character set BITNET allows is larger than that used by
uuencode, so a cleverly designed program should be able to avoid most of
the expansion produced by uuencode.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)