Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 88 22:24:09 GMT
Sender:       Minix operating system <MINIX-L@IRISHVM>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-minix-request@UDEL.EDU
From:         Der Tynan <dtynan@SULTRA.UUCP>
Subject:      Problems with SIGINT...
Comments: To: info-minix@UDEL.EDU
To:           Rob Cameron <RCAMERON@UNCAMULT>

First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my query about the SIGINT
problem.  As a recap, basically, when you run 'make' in the background, if
you type DEL (or whatever your SIGINT character is), the 'make' will abort.
In particular, thanks to Robert Regn, for having the right answer!!

The problem lies in cc.c, in the setting of the signal traps.  Basically,
cc.c executes the following;
    signal(SIGHUP, trapcc);
    signal(SIGINT, trapcc);
    signal(SIGQUIT, trapcc);

which is not a good idea.  If the shell has set these signals to SIG_IGN (or
ignore), then the compiler removes this.  The cure is simple.  In cc.c, change
the lines to read;
    if (signal(SIGHUP, SIG_IGN) != SIG_IGN)
        signal(SIGHUP, trapcc);
    if (signal(SIGINT, SIG_IGN) != SIG_IGN)
        signal(SIGINT, trapcc);
    if (signal(SIGQUIT, SIG_IGN) != SIG_IGN)
        signal(SIGQUIT, trapcc);

This works just fine.  Of course, you *may* not want to do this for all the
signals specified, as it's only SIGINT that causes a problem, but this is
up to you.  Thanks again.
                        - Der
--
Reply:    dtynan@sultra.UUCP        (Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
    {mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (10/21/88)

In article <4959@louie.udel.EDU>, server%UNCACDC.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (SystemServer) writes:
> +--------------------------------+
> : A copy of your message follows :
> +--------------------------------+

> Date:         Mon, 17 Oct 88 22:24:09 GMT
> Sender:       Minix operating system <MINIX-L@IRISHVM>
> Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-minix-request@UDEL.EDU
> From:         Der Tynan <dtynan@SULTRA.UUCP>
> Subject:      Problems with SIGINT...
> Comments: To: info-minix@UDEL.EDU
> To:           Rob Cameron <RCAMERON@UNCAMULT>

OK, what the H*LL is going on, here!  The above message is mine.  Posted to
comp.os.minix on Monday, 17-Oct-88.  I'd rather not get a mailbox full of
flames from people who are equally p****d-off by this.  This ain't the first
time that udel has bounced it's own mail problems back to the net at large.
When Dr. Tanenbaum published all the diffs from Minix version 1.3b -> 1.3c,
they ALL got bounced in a similar manner.  The amount of net.bandwidth used
by Dr. Tanenbaum for the postings, was heavy, but justified.  The bounced
mail WAS NOT!!!  I had to manually expunge a lot of the bounced postings, in
order to free up MUCHO Megabytes.  If udel has a mail problem, I suggest they
fix it.  The last time they did this, I muttered to myself, and questioned
their collective sanity.  This time, however, I'm not that easily appeased.
Problems with their mail-gateway SHOULD NOT be reposted. Grrrr.
						- Der
--

cranor@udel.EDU (Chuck Cranor) (10/21/88)

In article <2591@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>In article <4959@louie.udel.EDU>, server%UNCACDC.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (SystemServer) writes:
>flames from people who are equally p****d-off by this.  This ain't the first
>time that udel has bounced it's own mail problems back to the net at large.
>When Dr. Tanenbaum published all the diffs from Minix version 1.3b -> 1.3c,
>they ALL got bounced in a similar manner.  The amount of net.bandwidth used
>by Dr. Tanenbaum for the postings, was heavy, but justified.  The bounced
>mail WAS NOT!!!  I had to manually expunge a lot of the bounced postings, in
>order to free up MUCHO Megabytes.  If udel has a mail problem, I suggest they
>fix it.  The last time they did this, I muttered to myself, and questioned
>their collective sanity.  This time, however, I'm not that easily appeased.
>Problems with their mail-gateway SHOULD NOT be reposted. Grrrr.

If you would look at the message instead of flaming UDel you would notice
that the message just relayed through UDel.  The real problem is somewhere
off in braindamaged bitnet mailer land (UNCACDC.BITNET).  UNCACDC is
not part of UDel.  Perhaps you should direct your efforts towards
postmaster@UNCACDC.BITNET or info-minix-request@udel.edu instead of
at the world.   It might be more productive.

				Chuck Cranor
				UDel Postmaster
--
Chuck Cranor
University of Delaware  PHONE: (302)-451-8005 (UDel), (302)-737-5852 (home)