[comp.os.minix] Line wrap

droege@infko.UUCP (Detlev Droege) (10/06/88)

In article <Oct.3.02.38.44.1988.11280@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.
edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>By the way, ast and I are having sort of an argument about line wrap.
>He would like to remove it.  I left it in under a conditional because
>there had been a number of requests on this group for it.  I agree
>with him that correct programs don't put out more than 80 chars on a
>line.  Unfortunately I don't always work with correct programs.  The
>last thing I want is that when I get an unexpected message, or
>unexpected data, things disappear from the screen.  Debugging is hard
>enough as is without having critical data go away because it overflows
>the line.

This is my vote for line warp.

It's not only a question of "correct" programs.
Take normal macro expansion as in "make". You
can't see what happens, if you don't have
line warp, as lots of lines generated by "make"
are longer than 80 characters and I don't consider
that to be a bug.
And I want to know what make does.

Please DON'T remove line warp.

	Detlev
--
Detlev Droege, Uni Koblenz (EWH), FB Informatik
	       Rheinau 3-4, D-5400 Koblenz  (West Germany)

dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher) (10/15/88)

[XBR4D75G%DDATHD21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes...]
> 2.) Using the LINEWRAP-option for console.c in the kernel requires, that in
>     mined line-erasing is done by the escape-sequence insteed of "printing"
>     80 blanks. The screen scrolls up 2 lines when a status-line is created
>     by the old mined. (I can not explain, why mined requires at least one
>     blank in the clear-line-sequence.)

I've ordered Minix for the ST, but haven't recieved it yet, so pardon me
if this is an ignorant question.  At what point does the cursor wrap when
you have line-wrap enabled?  If I were writing the driver, I would have
it wrap when you attempted to write one past the end of the line, *NOT*
when you write into the last column.  This should prevent any problems
with "well behaved" programs which only use 80 columns, even if they use
EXACTLY 80 columns.

On a related topic... Does the exisiting tty driver (for PC or ST) allow
for a variable number of lines on the screen, or better yet a variable
number of characters per line?  I regularly use fonts on the ST which
give me various screen heights between 25 and 50 lines, and don't want to
lose that convenience.  I understand that in certain video modes on the PC
it is also possible to get more than 25 lines.  Which, of course, brings
up the issue of allowing full-screen programs (like editors) to adjust to
the varying screen dimensions... Some food for thought.

I'm looking forward to running Minix on the ST!

--
      Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.
      (alias: Dalnefre')                      St. Paul, MN  55104

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (10/20/88)

> At what point does the cursor wrap when
> you have line-wrap enabled?  If I were writing the driver, I would have
> it wrap when you attempted to write one past the end of the line, *NOT*
> when you write into the last column.  This should prevent any problems
> with "well behaved" programs which only use 80 columns, even if they use
> EXACTLY 80 columns.
>      Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.

Generally the cursor sits where the NEXT character will be added.  If
column 80 has just been filled you have 2 choices:
 1. Put the cursor on column 1 of the next line.
	Now if the next character is printable, it goes where the
	cursor is sitting.  That makes sense.  But if the next
	character is a NL, the cursor does not move.  That is not
	consistent or friendly.
 2. Make the cursor disappear.
	This handles the problem case with NL as mentioned above, but
	it is not friendly for the cursor to disappear.
I can't think of a way to do what you suggest in a way that is
consistent and friendly.
--
	Charles Brown		charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
	Not representing my employer.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (10/21/88)

In article <5870007@hpcvca.HP.COM>, charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:
> > If I were writing the driver, I would have
> > it wrap when you attempted to write one past the end of the line, *NOT*
> > when you write into the last column.
>
> Generally the cursor sits where the NEXT character will be added.  If
> column 80 has just been filled you have 2 choices:
>  1. Put the cursor on column 1 of the next line.
>  2. Make the cursor disappear.

Since the tty is now supposed to emulate (roughly) a VT100 terminal, why
not do what DEC does? If a character is written into column 80, the
cursor remains where it is, on top of the new character.  If a CRLF
follows, operation is as expected.  If another character follows, it
goes into column 1 of the next line (with scroll if necessary), and the
cursor goes into column 2.

This looks strange, and requires special handling in the driver. But it
works well. I prefer this technique to no wrapping at all.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels