[comp.os.minix] general info request

no@UDEL.EDU, (10/20/88)

        i have been around computing for quite some time, but i am new to unix,
brand-new to minix and have nearly zero experience with ibm pc'S.  i would
appreciate some advice about setting up minix.

        i am in the process of selecting a machine on which to run minix.  i am
leaning toward getting an at-clone.  any comments on minix performance/problems
on an at-clone vs. a pc-clone?  what about software compatibility?

        i gather there are several different graphics interfaces in use on ibm
pc's.  any recommendations about what to get?

        i see on the net that a new version of minix is about to be released.
i do not want to buy v1.2 and then have to upgrade to v1.3 right away.  does
anyone know the approximate release date for v1.3?

        and finally, any general advice/warnings ?

just send me e-mail unless you think your comments would be more globally
useful.  thanks in advance.

tony bible
gvaeb@isuvax.bitnet
gvaeb@vaxd.iastate.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/21/88)

In article <4949@louie.udel.EDU> no@UDEL.EDU, writes:
> does >anyone know the approximate release date for v1.3?

I just sent the disks to P-H this week.  If past experience is any guide,
I would guess availability should be 2-3 months.  If you absolutely can't
wait, you can get 1.2 now and the upgrade kit later.  The upgrade kit
consists of one disk with the current binary C compiler (cpp, cem, opt, cg,
asld, libc.a), plus disks 6 through 10 of the PC distribution, i.e. the
complete set of 1.3 sources.  Also ELLE and patch are in there somewhere.
Using these sources you can upgrade completely.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <1554@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>... If you absolutely can't
>wait, you can get 1.2 now and the upgrade kit later...

Will there be a similar upgrade kit (not necessarily at the same time,
of course) for ST Minix?
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/24/88)

In article <1988Oct23.010153.21320@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Will there be a similar upgrade kit (not necessarily at the same time,
>of course) for ST Minix?

No.  Have a heart.  Actually, the differences between MINIX-ST 1.1 and
MINIX-PC 1.3 are not that great.  We may conceivable post some diff listings
to bring MINIX-ST sort of up to 1.3, but this depends on the availability of
time, something both Johan and I have in short supply.  (Until 1992, as a bare
minimum, the EEC is still using the old 24-hour day.  If they decide to switch
to a new metric 100 hour day, that will give us four times as much time...)

I have repeatedly said that I would post an announcement about MINIX-ST as soon
as I got the information.  That still hasn't happened.  The key information
comes from England, and they had a mail strike in September, so the post office
has used October to deliver September's mail, etc.  On the other side of the
ocean, a package that P-H sent to me in White Plain, NY, August 2, 1988 was
returned to them last Friday, a travel time of 3 months for less than 50 miles.
By now it isn't really a secret that MINIX-ST is available in both the U.S.
(201-767-5937) and the U.K. (+44 442 231555).  Still, I will make my official
announcement as soon as I can.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)