[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.3 + RS232/EGA enhancements bug report

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) (10/20/88)

In article <1517@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>I have tested it on 3 machines, and it seems to
>be ok, but I would greatly appreciate it if more people could test it and
>report back fast.

Bug:
	Minix 1.3 with the RS232/EGA enhancements (1.3e? 1.3f?) and
	Amoeba networking with Ethernet interface support does not boot.
	(at least, not on a monochrome Commodore PC-40).

	[[ I know I'm the only person who actually *uses* Minix networking,
	   but I'd like to keep doing so! ]]

Symptom:
	When attempting to start a loaded Minix, the machine hangs
	immediately after pressing the "=" key.  That is, it doesn't
	print out the hardware address of the Ethernet interface.
	I didn't get any response from <Ctrl-Alt-Del>, and had to cycle
	the power.

Repeat-By:
	Apply the patches in <1577@ast.vu.cs.nl>.

	Build an Amoeba kernel by (for example)
		# cd minix/amoeba
		# make
	with a scratch floppy in /dev/[af]d0.

	Boot the resulting floppy on a machine with a WD-8003
	with factory default configuration.  (Sync it first.)

Fix-by:
	Not immediately obvious. Instead, I reverted to minix/kernel
	source that matches the CRC log in posting <1499@ast.cs.vu.nl>
	[[what	is this called -- 1.3d? 1.3e?), and built another
	Amoeba kernel.  That seems to work okay, which at least limits
	the scope of the problem to the files that changed in
	<1517@ast.cs.vu.nl>.

	[[ I *really* want some names for the different post-1.3c
           posting #14 Minix sources ! ]]

sane mailers: jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz |    Industrial democracy:
UUCP path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!jonathan |           One factory, one vote!

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/21/88)

In article <14314@comp.vuw.ac.nz> jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) writes:
>	Minix 1.3 with the RS232/EGA enhancements (1.3e? 1.3f?) and
>	Amoeba networking with Ethernet interface support does not boot.

Oh good grief.  You're right.  I checked, and what is happening is that
the kernel with RS232 + Ethernet is more than 64K.  You have to put -i
in the makefile in amoeba/kernel for the call to asld.  Try that and please
report what happens.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) (10/25/88)

In article <1560@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <14314@comp.vuw.ac.nz> jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Jonathan) writes:
>>	Minix 1.3 with the RS232/EGA enhancements (1.3e? 1.3f?) and
>>	Amoeba networking with Ethernet interface support does not boot.
>
>Oh good grief.  You're right.  I checked, and what is happening is that
>the kernel with RS232 + Ethernet is more than 64K.  You have to put -i
>in the makefile in amoeba/kernel for the call to asld.  Try that and please
>report what happens.

	I've tried it, it works.  I'm so glad I have a 1.2 asld.