[comp.os.minix] minix sources

mknowles@watsol.waterloo.edu (Michael Knowles) (11/03/88)

I'm posting this for a friend who doesn't have a feed to outside sites:

Please send any replies to watmath!lion!mhgrinton.UUCP

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get a copy of the
MINIX sources online(by disk or e-mail). I have recently purchased a
book containing the source code but don't really have the time to type
in 10 000+ lines of code. I am using a PC and am very interested in
seeing what MINIX can do.

Any help or references would be greatly appreciated.

						Thanks,

						Mike

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (11/05/88)

/ hpcupt1:comp.os.minix / mknowles@watsol.waterloo.edu (Michael Knowles) / 12:45 pm  Nov  2, 1988 /

>Please send any replies to watmath!lion!mhgrinton.UUCP
						   ^^^^

	How can a user have a domain?  I though machines had'em.
If this is a mistake, could the author please post a fixed address?

					Andy

mjs@whuts.UUCP (SCHEUTZOW) (11/05/88)

> Please send any replies to watmath!lion!mhgrinton.UUCP
>
> I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get a copy of the
> MINIX sources online(by disk or e-mail). I have recently purchased a
> book containing the source code but don't really have the time to type
> in 10 000+ lines of code.

The sources are not public domain, so you must buy them.  You can get them
for $80 from the Prentice-Hall Book (and software) publishing company.  If
you consider how much you get, this is a very cheap price.  You order by
phone (201) 767-5937 using a credit card.  [ Note that the (800) 223-1360
number is NOT for personal orders ].  They are quoting delivery times of
approximately 2 weeks.

Mike S.
att!whuts!mjs

mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) (11/07/88)

In article <9456@watdragon.waterloo.edu> mknowles@watsol.waterloo.edu (Michael Knowles) writes:

>I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get a copy of the
>MINIX sources online(by disk or e-mail). I have recently purchased a
>book containing the source code but don't really have the time to type
>in 10 000+ lines of code. I am using a PC and am very interested in
>seeing what MINIX can do.

I'm interested in this too.  Please either post to the net (in
addition to mailing his friend), or mail me at mju@m-net.UUCP.

bill@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) (11/07/88)

Well, Andy; What punishment would you prescribe for the Wiz from N.Y.?
.

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (11/07/88)

>>Please send any replies to watmath!lion!mhgrinton.UUCP
>						   ^^^^
>
>	How can a user have a domain?  I though machines had'em.
>If this is a mistake, could the author please post a fixed address?

The user doesn't have a domain.  You're parsing it wrong.  It's not
watmath!lion!mhgrinton(.UUCP), it's (watmath!lion!mhgrinton).UUCP

Of course, using bang paths usually implies a UUCP address, but some
mailers do take this form, or at least make the address look like that
after you get mail out of them.

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (11/08/88)

/ hpcupt1:comp.os.minix / skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) /  6:52 pm  Nov  6, 1988 /

>>>Please send any replies to watmath!lion!mhgrinton.UUCP
>>						   ^^^^
>>
>>	How can a user have a domain?  I though machines had'em.
>>If this is a mistake, could the author please post a fixed address?

>The user doesn't have a domain.  You're parsing it wrong.  It's not
>watmath!lion!mhgrinton(.UUCP), it's (watmath!lion!mhgrinton).UUCP

	No mailer I've ever worked with would parse it that way.  Roughly,
what would happen is that it wouldn't find any @'s (which should take
precedence), then find the ! and route mail to lion!mhgrinton.UUCP via
"watmath".  Very questionable.  Try "mhgrinton%lion@watmath.UUCP" if
you have trouble (and I suspect you might).  Or did you mean
"mhgrinton%lion.UUCP@watmath"?  From your comment, probably the former.

			Have fun in any case!
			Andy