[comp.os.minix] Fix for latest console.c under 1.1 cg

bob@dhw68k.cts.com (Bob Best) (10/25/88)

I managed to locate the problem statement that generated an error under
the version 1.1 cg.  Why the compiler couldn't handle it is
anyone's guess.  As Andy mentioned, we seem to be dealing with an
obsolete and 'rotten' compiler.  Of course, for some of us, it's all
we've got!  Good luck!

Bob
----------------
*** console.c~	Mon Oct 24 10:31:11 1988
--- console.c	Mon Oct 24 10:34:06 1988
***************
*** 345,351 ****
  			   tp->tty_org + (SCR_LINES - 1) * LINE_WIDTH * 2 - 2,
  			   vid_mask - 1,
  			   (SCR_LINES - 1) * LINE_WIDTH);
! 			tp->tty_org = vid_mask + 1 - SCR_LINES*LINE_WIDTH * 2;
  		} else
  			tp->tty_org -= 2 * LINE_WIDTH;
  		offset = tp->tty_org;
--- 345,352 ----
  			   tp->tty_org + (SCR_LINES - 1) * LINE_WIDTH * 2 - 2,
  			   vid_mask - 1,
  			   (SCR_LINES - 1) * LINE_WIDTH);
! 			tp->tty_org = vid_mask; /* fix for 1.1 cg (bob@dhw68k.cts.com) */
! 			tp->tty_org += 1 - SCR_LINES*LINE_WIDTH * 2;
  		} else
  			tp->tty_org -= 2 * LINE_WIDTH;
  		offset = tp->tty_org;
--
Bob Best
uucp: ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!bob	InterNet: bob@dhw68k.cts.com

rtregn@immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Robert Regn) (11/08/88)

From article <13744@dhw68k.cts.com>, by bob@dhw68k.cts.com (Bob Best):
> I managed to locate the problem statement that generated an error under
> the version 1.1 cg.  Why the compiler couldn't handle it is
> anyone's guess.  As Andy mentioned, we seem to be dealing with an
> obsolete and 'rotten' compiler.  Of course, for some of us, it's all
> we've got!  Good luck!

Thanks to bob for this 'fix'. It  works.

In article <1564@ast.cs.vu.nl> (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> I am not sure how many 1.1 compilers there are floating around, but the
> 1.2 compiler binaries are part of the upgrade kit for 1.3 that will available
> from P-H around Dec.

I think, many 1.1 compilers. Many people who can get upgrades from the net
don't by the kit.

I have also problems with the 1.3c INIT using the 1.1 compiler.
When I use this init and reboot, Minix starts and init executes etc/rc
but i see no messages from it.  Later he forks a login, again without
output to tty. Input is ok, login gets name and passwd and forks a shell.
Meantime init runs permanent with always same pc ( 17 ) and decreases
performance terrible. If the shell ends, init creates no
new login. It has probably called exit and loops in head.s ?
Old init works with 1.3c. When i remove lines 167 and 171 (with ioctl),
which are not used, the system works!!

Has somebody this problem too ?

			Robert Regn							rtregn@faui32.uucp