[comp.os.minix] notes on installing less

tholm@uvicctr.UUCP (Terrence W. Holm) (11/08/88)

Last week we installed Mark Nudelman's less(1) (ported to
MINIX by Bob Best), and Monty Walls' ps(1). They are both
running fine - good work guys!

There are a couple of items I would like to mention, these
came up while installing these programs, and may aid others
in also using the applications.

		---------------------

First of all, carefully check each "makefile" before compiling.
You might find that files (eg. headers, libraries) are not quite
were you keep them. Also check the cc options.

less(1):

   You might want to change "HELPFILE" in the makefile.

   Be sure to use chmem(1) on less(1). Its a big program, and
   you don't want to run out of RAM just because a couple of
   people are using less(1), [we have].

   If you escape from less(1) to a sub-shell and generate a
   SIGINT, strange things happen. This is an old sh(1) problem,
   we all know about it, but no one does anything about it.
   It should really confuse the newcomers.

ps(1):

   The ps(1) files include a lot of MINIX kernel headers.
   You have to either edit the ".c" files, or install links
   to the headers which are not in the same place as on
   Monty's system.

   The documentation describes a "-a" option, where is it?.
   Also "w" is used for the suspended state, not "s".

   The memory size field should be described a bit better,
   or changed to what I expected to see (given the current
   description).

Well, hopes this helps someone. (You are certainly better off
trying to install these programs, than not having them at all.)

		-------------------------

P.S. We still have problems with the official 1.3 tty handler, so we
     also spent a day trying to get Andrew Hannam's tty handler
     to fly - we were unsuccessful (possibly because I screwed up
     in translating the mnemonics).
     PLEASE: If you post code to this news group, make sure it
     compiles under MINIX!

			Terrence W. Holm
			  uw-beaver!uvicctr!tholm

viljanen@kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI (Lea Viljanen UNIX88) (11/09/88)

In article <543@uvicctr.UUCP> tholm@uvicctr.UUCP (Terrence W. Holm) writes:
>Last week we installed Mark Nudelman's less(1) (ported to
>MINIX by Bob Best), and Monty Walls' ps(1). They are both
>running fine - good work guys!

I'm having some trouble with less. I get error message __exit: undefined
when compiling os.c. And there isn't anywhere in os.c the command exit()
or the like.
Should I make a dummy exit-routine or what?

Lea 'LadyBug' Viljanen           ____     University of Helsinki, Finland
viljanen@finuha.bitnet       \  / . '     Dept. of Computer Science
viljanen@cs.helsinki.fi       \/  |_      'Small is beautiful'