[comp.os.minix] Problem using mkfs on Miniscribe HD

finn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/22/88)

I am trying to get MINIX v1.2 (the 512K AT version from PH) running
on a 12MhZ AT clone (from Bently Computers) with a 44 Mb Miniscribe
disk (28ms) and a Western Digital controller (I think).

I can boot up off the floppies fine and run MINIX with out any problem,
but I would like to set up a MINIX partition on the hard disk before
I try to do anything (like upgrade to 1.3).  I have used a utility
from Ontrack to make the first two partitions on the DISK non Dos partitions.
As far as I can tell from what I have read, at this point all I need to
do in MINIX is use mkfs to make the file system.  (I can use fdisk
to show that the partitions are there where I expect them)

When I run mkfs, I just get an apparantly infinite loop of unexpected
interrupt messages from the kernel.  The message says that the interupt
number is <= 16.  The sources and include files for AT_WINI lead me
to believe that the western digital controller uses an interupt somewhere
in the 200's, so I don't know what this interupt is.  (But the XT
controller uses an interupt number somewhere below 16).  At this point
I am stuck, and don't really feel like trying to hack with this without
being able to use the hard disk.  (I only have one floppy drive.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

	                    Thanks, Stephen Wood
	                    saw@uiucnpl.npl.uiuc.edu

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/26/88)

In article <61500001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, finn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
:: I am trying to get MINIX v1.2 (the 512K AT version from PH) running
:: on a 12MhZ AT clone (from Bently Computers) with a 44 Mb Miniscribe
:: disk (28ms) and a Western Digital controller (I think).
::
:: ...
::
:: When I run mkfs, I just get an apparantly infinite loop of unexpected
:: interrupt messages from the kernel.  The message says that the interupt
:: number is <= 16.  ...
::
:: Does anyone have any suggestions?
::
:: 	                    Thanks, Stephen Wood
:: 	                    saw@uiucnpl.npl.uiuc.edu

Please post any sugguestions, I am having the same symptoms, trying
to add a 3.5" drive to Minix on a Heathkit H150 computer as floppy
drive 2.

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us   <--- do I need to disclaim it all?
::

vrh@mh_co2.mh.nl (Michael Verheij) (10/27/88)

In article <61500001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> finn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am trying to get MINIX v1.2 (the 512K AT version from PH) running
>on a 12MhZ AT clone (from Bently Computers) with a 44 Mb Miniscribe
>disk (28ms) and a Western Digital controller (I think).

>When I run mkfs, I just get an apparantly infinite loop of unexpected
>interrupt messages from the kernel.  The message says that the interupt
>number is <= 16.  The sources and include files for AT_WINI lead me
>to believe that the western digital controller uses an interupt somewhere
>in the 200's, so I don't know what this interupt is.  (But the XT
>controller uses an interupt number somewhere below 16).

I've got a 10 MHz Tulip AT clone with a 20 MB Miniscribe HD and a
SCSI-controller. I can't get a file system on hard disk either.
MINIX supports on a AT only the standard (WD) AT-controller and nothing else.
So check your controller to see if it's a WD one.

---
Michael Verheij (using Netnews)
USENET: vrh@mh.nl via European backbone (mcvax).
UUCP:   ..!mcvax!mhres!vrh
"Experience comes with the amount of equipment ruined."

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/05/88)

As quoted from <2523@mhres.mh.nl> by vrh@mh_co2.mh.nl (Michael Verheij):
+---------------
| In article <61500001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> finn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
| >When I run mkfs, I just get an apparantly infinite loop of unexpected
| >interrupt messages from the kernel.  The message says that the interupt
|
| I've got a 10 MHz Tulip AT clone with a 20 MB Miniscribe HD and a
| SCSI-controller. I can't get a file system on hard disk either.
| MINIX supports on a AT only the standard (WD) AT-controller and nothing else.
| So check your controller to see if it's a WD one.
+---------------

Dunno if it's related, but...

Back when Minix first came out I tried to set up my hard drive (ITT XTRA
(an XT clone) with WD1002-WX2 controller) under Minix and got the symptoms
you describe.  It turned out that for some unknown reason the disk
initialization had to be reversed:  it was treating drive 0 as drive 1 and
vice versa.  Try building a Minix kernel with the drive 0 parameters used
to initialize "drive 1" and vice versa and see if it works.

I haven't the faintest idea why they're backwards (and why it works fine
from DOS) but there it is.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

finn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/10/88)

Tannenbaum suggested that I recompile mkfs because perhaps the version
that I have was compiled for DOS instead of MINIX.  I did that and was
able to successfully make a file system on the hard disk.  The partition
I use (hd3) is at the very end of a 44 MB disk.  fsck will not work on
it because the partition is beyond some 65000 limit, but otherwise
everything works fine on the minix hard disk partition.

The only odd thing was that the original mkfs that I tried to run is as
it was in the distribution from prentice hall.  So if others are having
trouble with mkfs in V1.2 of MINIX, it would be worthwile to recompile
mkfs.

			Stephen Wood
			saw@uinpla.npl.uiuc.edu